Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphatectz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York, NY
well my usb for my iphone 3g works but the white rubber part is cut open will apple replace my usb, and the left side of my headphones just stop working will apple also replace my headphones, will i have to make an appointment with the genius bar or wil they just swap it out for me on the spot?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
well my usb for my iphone 3g works but the white rubber part is cut open will apple replace my usb, and the left side of my headphones just stop working will apple also replace my headphones, will i have to make an appointment with the genius bar or wil they just swap it out for me on the spot?

Pop in the Apple store and make an appointment with the Genius Bar. Whether they replace it or not, you need to make an appointment first.

alphatectz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York, NY
NP. Being that you are in NYC, I would recommend the 5th Ave location, as they have been pretty helpful for me when I needed my MBP power supply replaced, iPhone replaced, etc. :)

That's the apple store that I usally go to, very helpful in that location.

moneymaster

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
The same things happened to me...that headphones broke and so did the USB. I just popped in and they helped me. They said that you are not supposed to do the instore exchange of the headphones, but they did it anyway. They said you are supposed to call apple at 1-800-APPL-CARE and they will take care of it...With the USB, they put up a fuss. They said that it was my problem that the cord broke and that they would not exchange it. After a few minutes of going back and forth, they finally gave in and said that they would do this as a one time exception. I had to go to the extreme of calling Apple's quality poor :(

That's just my experience with changing the headphones and the USB.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
the worst they can do is say no....

if they do there isn't a need to be a huge dick to them though

alphatectz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York, NY
The same things happened to me...that headphones broke and so did the USB. I just popped in and they helped me. They said that you are not supposed to do the instore exchange of the headphones, but they did it anyway. They said you are supposed to call apple at 1-800-APPL-CARE and they will take care of it...With the USB, they put up a fuss. They said that it was my problem that the cord broke and that they would not exchange it. After a few minutes of going back and forth, they finally gave in and said that they would do this as a one time exception. I had to go to the extreme of calling Apple's quality poor :(

That's just my experience with changing the headphones and the USB.

It's bound to happen to everyone, I had no problem getting my USB and earphones replaced without a problem. I just went into the apple store located in soho (NYC) an I spoke to the first person that I seen that work for Apple and they helped me right away. Got a brand new USB and earphones.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
no luck on the usb cable for me

they said frayed cable does not warrant a replacement because it still works

they recommended i purchase a new cable

alphatectz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York, NY
no luck on the usb cable for me

they said frayed cable does not warrant a replacement because it still works

they recommended i purchase a new cable

You should of told them that's it's risky to have the USB like that. It can cause damnage and also can burn you at some point. I know there's a thread about it somewhere on macrumors.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
I agree with you, but why the heck do the earphone cost so much???? I could understand why the USB might be pricy but the headphones come on now.

the headphones have a button+mic built into them. they aren't just headphones.

if you take a 10 dollar pair of headphones, and then add in a mic, and a switch, you have to add in a new 1/8" (3.5mm) jack to handle the extra functions.

not to mention the extra labor involved to add in the switch/mic

i think the apple headphones are great, plus they are easy to talk on the phone with... i love in ears but they are impossible to talk on the phone with...

alphatectz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York, NY
the headphones have a button+mic built into them. they aren't just headphones.

if you take a 10 dollar pair of headphones, and then add in a mic, and a switch, you have to add in a new 1/8" (3.5mm) jack to handle the extra functions.

not to mention the extra labor involved to add in the switch/mic

i think the apple headphones are great, plus they are easy to talk on the phone with... i love in ears but they are impossible to talk on the phone with...

You have good point, but my argument is why pay $35 for a new head set if you can get your old headset replaced, now I you lost your headset then I'll understand why you sould cough up the money for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.