Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2022
Wanted to ask on here to see what other people's experiences with Apple and dead pixels are.

Had my 15 Pro for 2 days. Fitted a screen protector straight away, no issues at all with the display. Used the phone (with screen protector) for two days, noticed this afternoon a single dead (black/switched off) pixel in the middle of the screen. I wasn't sure if it was dirt or something that somehow found its way under the screen protector, so I removed the screen protector and used a microfibre cloth and water to gently wipe the screen. It's definitely a dead pixel as it's dark and not blue/green/red.

I bought my device from a phone network/third party here in the UK (Sky Mobile). They've already said it will probably be at least a 2-3 week turnaround as they have a backlog and no replacement phones in stock.

• If I take it to an Apple store, will they repair the display same day?
  • Will they actually accept it as a fault even though it's just a single dead pixel?
  • Will they replace the entire device or just the screen?
I don't have AppleCare+ but obviously as the phone is only 2 days old I assume they will deal with it under the one year warranty.

Thanks

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Wanted to ask on here to see what other people's experiences with Apple and dead pixels are.

Had my 15 Pro for 2 days. Fitted a screen protector straight away, no issues at all with the display. Used the phone (with screen protector) for two days, noticed this afternoon a single dead (black/switched off) pixel in the middle of the screen. I wasn't sure if it was dirt or something that somehow found its way under the screen protector, so I removed the screen protector and used a microfibre cloth and water to gently wipe the screen. It's definitely a dead pixel as it's dark and not blue/green/red.

I bought my device from a phone network/third party here in the UK (Sky Mobile). They've already said it will probably be at least a 2-3 week turnaround as they have a backlog and no replacement phones in stock.

• Will they actually accept it as a fault even though it's just a single dead pixel?
I don't have AppleCare+ but obviously as the phone is only 2 days old I assume they will deal with it under the one year warranty.

Thanks
Depends, if they have screen in stock, definitely screen will be replaced. If no spares available, then you might a replacement service phone.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
They’ll replace your phone with a brand new one if they have stock. They can replace the screen but the genius always recommend to return/exchange if the phone is brand new like yours. That’s what happened to me with 3(yes, THREE) iPhone 15 pro max…

Edit : I didn’t read the part where you said that you bought it from a phone network, sorry 😅 in that case try and see what Apple say 😁 a single dead pixel would be an instant return for me tho.

Last edited:

Sebwilliamss

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2024

Thanks
Hello, did they end up replacing your phone? Or just the display? Could you please provide pictures of the pixel? I'm experiencing this issue as well, I tried to return it but they did not claim is as a defect and sent it back to me. I don't know what to do at this point.

Sebwilliamss

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2024
If it was my 15Pro i would want the phone replaced.
LOL I have the same thing on my regular iPhone 15. They didn't replace it but promised that if anything happens to the phone within the 1 year warranty, they'd replace the whole unit. Totally unacceptable for a £950 phone. Waiting to either escalate the case or apply legal action.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Hello, did they end up replacing your phone? Or just the display? Could you please provide pictures of the pixel? I'm experiencing this issue as well, I tried to return it but they did not claim is as a defect and sent it back to me. I don't know what to do at this point.
This is the reason i stopped buying phones direct from the Apple Store, i now only buy from my system service provider it was Sprint now T-Mobil this way i know they have the phones to replace a failing phone and won't micky mouse me around if it's defect they just return it to Apple and you get a new phone.

Sebwilliamss

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2024
This is the reason i stopped buying phones direct from the Apple Store, i now only buy from my system service provider it was Sprint now T-Mobil this way i know they have the phones to replace a failing phone and won't micky mouse me around if it's defect they just return it to Apple and you get a new phone.
Here where I live there aren’t any nearby Apple stores I got mine through my carrier. And they said they’ll send it in for service and if they find it faulty they’ll either replace it or give a refund (this would be more difficult since I traded my old 12 in). I’m waiting to see if I can escalate the situation and ask for my rights. I totally refuse to own the latest iPhone and feel miserable with it 🤣

Reactions: digitalcuriosity

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Here where I live there aren’t any nearby Apple stores I got mine through my carrier. And they said they’ll send it in for service and if they find it faulty they’ll either replace it or give a refund (this would be more difficult since I traded my old 12 in). I’m waiting to see if I can escalate the situation and ask for my rights. I totally refuse to own the latest iPhone and feel miserable with it 🤣
This is where one has to just stand up and demand a new phone, these phones and iPads are mass put together items, they do no testing if they turn on their boxed and shipped.

When we pay for them and we start using them were the testers, i buy my iPads from Best Buy if i find a problem all i have to do in 90 days is haul it back and get it replaced no micky mousing around and i have never had a problem.

The people who work in the Apple stores are just employees and their managers tell them to just do anything to get you to give up keep this in mind and just demand a new phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sebwilliamss

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
A single dead pixel return is insane. There are more than 3 million on a 15PM and people cry over a single pixel. No wonder the world is environmentally buggered.

Reactions: kitKAC

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I’m not sure if the person you were replying to @Sebwilliamss had that happen at an Apple Store, or somewhere else they “sent in to”. But I actually would think the opposite - a carrier would be much less willing to take a new iPhone and exchange it for a new one / repair one over a single dead pixel, than the Apple Store would. The Apple Store team member you speak with obviously has some discretion, but I would think they’d care more about helping you. I would think it’s Carriers (or other Big Box stores, eg. Best Buy) are usually trying to find a way *not* to help you / reject the claim.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
People who are paying $1,200 to $2,000 for a new iPhone want a perfect phone.
That'd be nice but Apple, or any other company that makes displays, are not required to fix or replace your screen just because of a single dead pixel. If the amount of dead/stuck pixels hit a certain amount then they will replace it as it'd be considered defective. Honestly they probably will replace it if you take it to them but you could get someone who will tell you no and they are quite within their rights to refuse you.

There is standard for dead/hot/stuck pixels called ISO 13406-2. I think you're allowed up to 2 dead pixels per million and iPhone 15 Pro has just over 3 million pixels so 1 dead pixel is within tolerance.

OP should take it to Apple and see what they say but they can refuse it.

Reactions: DaveS86

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
My iPad Air 4th gen had two dead pixels when I first got it, bought from a different retailer. Apple replaced it no questions asked, as they are the manufacturer. I appreciate you can’t change the screen on an iPad but it’s a similar situation to the OP.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
my 15 pro had a single dead pixel and they replaced it. unfortunately the replacement phone had a scratched display out of the box (opened it in front of the apple employe) so i ended returning that too 😆 could't exchange anymore tho because it was already my third replacement (first one had multiple dust INSIDE the camera)

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
my 15 pro had a single dead pixel and they replaced it. unfortunately the replacement phone had a scratched display out of the box (opened it in front of the apple employe) so i ended returning that too 😆 could't exchange anymore tho because it was already my third replacement (first one had multiple dust INSIDE the camera)
Is this Apples policy of three replacements?

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
Is this Apples policy of three replacements?
I dont know tbh...Maybe 😆 Apple employee told me i couldn’t exchange anymore because there’s no guaranty to find a “perfect” device. Which is understandable haha I can’t open all of their inventory to find a phone with no defect haha kinda sucks tho that we have to go through multiple phones to find one with no defects.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
I dont know tbh...Maybe 😆 Apple employee told me i couldn’t exchange anymore because there’s no guaranty to find a “perfect” device. Which is understandable haha I can’t open all of their inventory to find a phone with no defect haha kinda sucks tho that we have to go through multiple phones to find one with no defects.
In the many years i have tried to get good information good service from the Apple Store, i have not received it first off i don't like having to make an appointment for information or help with a problem.

Their stores are always busy with lookers around counters and sales people wanting to get you moved off if your needing help with something this just turns me off.

I find it simpler dealing with my carrier or Best Buy and if real help is needed i have received it from members of their Geek Squad, buying the best Buy Member ship gets you a longer return time and gets you a no questions asked for an exchange or return try getting any of this at an apple Store.

If your not getting what you feel you already paid for with Apple in their store i advise you to return there first and contact a manager, or call Apple support at 800-692-7753 and if does not get you anywhere call your credit card company ( i hope you used a credit card ) and complain about the product bought i have found my credit card company can get something resolved if needed.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
In the many years i have tried to get good information good service from the Apple Store, i have not received it first off i don't like having to make an appointment for information or help with a problem.

Their stores are always busy with lookers around counters and sales people wanting to get you moved off if your needing help with something this just turns me off.

I find it simpler dealing with my carrier or Best Buy and if real help is needed i have received it from members of their Geek Squad, buying the best Buy Member ship gets you a longer return time and gets you a no questions asked for an exchange or return try getting any of this at an apple Store.

If your not getting what you feel you already paid for with Apple in their store i advise you to return there first and contact a manager, or call Apple support at 800-692-7753 and if does not get you anywhere call your credit card company ( i hope you used a credit card ) and complain about the product bought i have found my credit card company can get something resolved if needed.
Im from EU, italy to be precise, so dont have best buy.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Im from EU, italy to be precise, so dont have best buy

I understand your in Italy and don't have our Best Buy Stores but i still want you to get what you paid for, and i don't want some Apple employee to just give you the stores standard wordage and just think it's done..
It's not going to be done until you get a this item resolved of you being sold a defected Apple product the iPhone and them Apple just not wanting to do the right thing.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
There is standard for dead/hot/stuck pixels called ISO 13406-2. I think you're allowed up to 2 dead pixels per million and iPhone 15 Pro has just over 3 million pixels so 1 dead pixel is within tolerance.
Does that standard absolve Apple from the responsibility of repair or replacement, or is it just a standard?
Either way, does it apply in the UK?

Reactions: digitalcuriosity

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
Does that standard absolve Apple from the responsibility of repair or replacement, or is it just a standard?
Either way, does it apply in the UK?
Reading up on it, it is an opt in standard. Apple can either opt in or out. For instance, I bought a new screen for my work laptop, it came with a couple of dead pixels and the supplier immediately quoted me an ISO saying that it was within spec for dead pixels.

That ISO is out of date now replaced with ISO-9241-302, 303, 305, 307:2008

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Reading up on it, it is an opt in standard. Apple can either opt in or out. For instance, I bought a new screen for my work laptop, it came with a couple of dead pixels and the supplier immediately quoted me an ISO saying that it was within spec for dead pixels.

That ISO is out of date now replaced with ISO-9241-302, 303, 305, 307:2008

So one wants a new iPhone and a new iPad also a new Laptop, so first they need to contact an Attorney.
This is an item to keep a person up at night i am thinking.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.