Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helpmeplease1222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
Hi everyone,

7 months ago I spilled a sugared drink on my laptop and it shut down. I took it apart and dried it, scrubbed it clean with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol, and kept it in rice for 7 months. I want to sell the parts for as much money as I can. But I need to know which parts are functional still.

Will the Apple store run a diagnostic for free???

helpmeplease1222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
Ugh...that sucks. Do you know what I can do to see which parts still work? I spilled the sugared tea on the right side of the keyboard. I'm guessing that the logic board short-circuited and is the only part that was affected. But I can't be too sure.
Do you have any ideas on what I can do to figure out which parts are functional if I can't go to the Apple store for free?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Ugh...that sucks. Do you know what I can do to see which parts still work? I spilled the sugared tea on the right side of the keyboard. I'm guessing that the logic board short-circuited and is the only part that was affected. But I can't be too sure.
Do you have any ideas on what I can do to figure out which parts are functional if I can't go to the Apple store for free?

An Apple store genius bar will not do diagnostics on your machine because of the spill. Normally their diagnostics are free except for spills and vintage machines (which they will not work on at all). As far as determining which parts are bad, I wouldn't bother. Just place the machine on eBay or Craig's list and state that it underwent a spill and sell it like that as is. You might make out OK that way. The display on your machine is probably OK and that will be a good selling point.

helpmeplease1222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
An Apple store genius bar will not do diagnostics on your machine because of the spill. Normally their diagnostics are free except for spills and vintage machines (which they will not work on at all). As far as determining which parts are bad, I wouldn't bother. Just place the machine on eBay or Craig's list and state that it underwent a spill and sell it like that as is. You might make out OK that way. The display on your machine is probably OK and that will be a good selling point.

Well I guess the screen and maybe the battery are probably fine. Would a damaged logic board sell for much? $50 maybe? Any advice on a price range would be much appreciated!

Lastly, how do you scrub the SSD Drive of the memory?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If your MBAir will not boot at all - you can remove the SSD, put it in an external case (OWC sells them, and a few others, not always easy to find), then you can connect to another Mac, and do what you want with the data.
Just to wipe the data - you could use a Windows PC for that, too.

Or, you might know someone with the same MBAir that you have, and you can temporarily swap out the SSD, so you can do what you need to do to erase it. The external case would be simpler, but kind of expensive if you only need it for a few minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.