Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEMAN13

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Hi,

The camera in my iPhone 8 had a bad sensor and I never got around to bringing it to Apple under warranty, so I purchased a camera to replace it myself.

While I was able to replace the camera, I broke the cable that allows the home button to work (not the one physically attached to the home button itself). From what I can find online, replacing the screen (and thus the two cables--the screen cable and the home button cable) will fix the issue I am having. I would replace the screen myself, but it looks like I would lose Truetone and not necessarily receive an OEM quality screen.

According to Apple's website, the cost to replace an iPhone 8 screen is $149. The cost to fix a non-functioning home button, however, is $349. Since the cable is really part of the screen, can I just get a new screen from Apple to fix my issue rather than paying $349 for a new home button?

If I send in a phone when the screen itself technically works, will Apple even replace the screen?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Yes it would. Apple can refuse the request for screen replacement if there is internal damage from third party repair.
With a paid screen replacement, I think they will go ahead and do it anyway.

I think Apple is replacing the screen assembly as one unit. Meaning the new screen will come with a new earpiece, front camera flex and Touch ID.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
@Lekro pointed out a mistake in my post and I withdrew it. Replacing the screen and using the original home button will work if you use a 3rd party screen. Tru-tone will be disabled but everything else should work fine...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple can refuse the request for screen replacement if there is internal damage from third party repair.

Not quite. Apple would have to prove that there’s inadvertent damage that was caused by opening/repairing the phone versus just using a third party parts. They (Apple) would have to assess the phone first if the OP doesn’t openly admit he damaged a component until they actually determine the problem, even if it is a third-party. However. The OP Openly admitted there was damage, there’s no sense in even sending it into Apple, being they can’t take liability for something that’s already has pre-existing damage that’s preventing the phone from functioning ‘as is’. If the OP called Apple today and told them his situation, they wouldn’t even tell him to suggest setting the phone in at all, let alone they would send it back with attached internal notes that it’s essentially his problem due to the components used/damage. There’s nothing really to refuse here.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Not quite. Apple would have to prove that there’s inadvertent damage that was caused by opening/repairing the phone versus just using a third party parts. They (Apple) would have to assess the phone first if the OP doesn’t openly admit he damaged a component until they actually determine the problem, even if it is a third-party. However. The OP Openly admitted there was damage, there’s no sense in even sending it into Apple, being they can’t take liability for something that’s already has pre-existing damage that’s preventing the phone from functioning ‘as is’. If the OP called Apple today and told them his situation, they wouldn’t even tell him to suggest setting the phone in at all, let alone they would send it back with attached internal notes that it’s essentially his problem due to the components used/damage. There’s nothing really to refuse here.

So if the OP is honest and admits he damaged it they will refuse service for the reason you mention. They won’t take liability for damages caused by others.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
So if the OP is honest and admits he damaged it they will refuse service for the reason you mention. They won’t take liability for damages caused by others.
They're offering an out of warranty replacement of the whole phone considering the OP said the repair would cost $349..

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019

I said the same thing?

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
From what I can tell the home button has it's own cable and plugs into the logic board not the display.
View attachment 902719
View attachment 902723
The home button is paired to the logic board and unless Apple replaces it touchid and it's related functions won't work

The Touch ID plugs into the screen, then that into the board. The OP broke the cable that plugs into the board. It is the shorter cable on the side on the picture.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The Touch ID plugs into the screen, then that into the board. The OP broke the cable that plugs into the board. It is the shorter cable on the side on the picture.
I see the connection now. So if he uses the original home button on a new screen touchId should work properly.. Thanks for pointing that out!

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I said the same thing?

Yes, just indicating that the OP would have to be just as translucent with Apple as they are on here v.s. Making Apple find out that they damaged the internal components, which without being straight with them about what happened initially, would automatically deem a refusal of repair.

Reactions: Lekro

EEMAN13

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013

I do not understand this oft-repeated statement. This phone is not under warranty nor am I asking for a free repair, so there is no sense in saying Apple is taking liability for damages caused by others. They would simply be replacing a damaged component inside the phone. This is akin to dropping the phone and having the screen (or an integral component of the screen in this case) becoming damaged and thus repairing said damage.

There is no question of honesty/dishonesty in this situation. A component broke. Apple claims they will charge $149 for to replace the component that will fix the issue with my phone. I do not understand the issue here.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I was under the impression that they give you a new warranty after a service - 90 days I believe. I thought this couldn’t happen if the device was tempered with previously.

EEMAN13

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
I was under the impression that they give you a new warranty after a service - 90 days I believe. I thought this couldn’t happen if the device was tempered with previously.

The warranty is only for the component that was replaced and not the entire phone.

Apple would take out the damaged, OEM screen and put in a functional, OEM screen. Apple would then provide a warranty for defects and workmanship for the OEM screen replacement only. There is no liability incurred on the damaged, OEM screen as it is now the property of Apple per their ToS nor is there any warranty providefor any other component of the phone.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Apple can still refuse paid screen replacements if the device is broken due to failed repair from a third party.

For example, my ex-college broke the eapriece flex cable on an iPhone X while a screen replacement and Face ID was killed for the device.
We took it to Apple for a screen replacement and they refused to swap the screen (they swap that cable with the screen) and fix the issue. Eventually we've managed to push through though with connections and they replaced the screen and fixed Face ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.