Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbroke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
de4tq0.jpg

It just happened when I moved my hand over that area, I didn't drop it or anything like that.

Will they fix it for me free of charge?

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
It's definately wirth a try but do not use the word accident and mention the fact that you did not drop it or drop something on it.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I have a similar crack, just a bit further towards the keyboard and about the same length. I assume it comes from the raised surfaces at the top of the lid.

I've never asked Apple to take a look though, I'll just live with it.

macbroke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
I have a similar crack, just a bit further towards the keyboard and about the same length. I assume it comes from the raised surfaces at the top of the lid.

I've never asked Apple to take a look though, I'll just live with it.

Yeh I wouldn't mind too much either but I want to sell it and it'll be harder to sell now with this fault :mad:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
This is unfortunately a common problem with earlier MacBooks (and possibly laters ones too). Apple US has been good at fixing this, so hopefully Apple UK is the same.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Yes afaik it's a known issue and they should replace the casing for you.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Yes afaik it's a known issue and they should replace the casing for you.

It certainly is. The crack has to be in a particular place and a particular length. After it has been confirmed to be defective by an engineer they'll just swap out that top panel. Take it to your nearest Apple Store/AASP.

David

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Can it be swapped 'while you wait' at an Apple Store or does it need to be sent off for repairs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.