Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
After watching tonnes of reviews of the iPas mini one of the main complaints is the amount of padding and weird UI elements of iPadOS on the mini, it’s as if the OS is designed for the previous mini and not refreshed for the larger screen.

It is putting me off the device a bit, as currently I am rocking an 11” iPad Pro, but I don’t feel I am getting the full usage potential out of the device as I never take it out with me, whereas a mini I likely would with how small it is.

So I am planning on selling the 11” and getting the mini as I feel it will more than suit my needs, what are the odds of apple updating the software to take advantage of the screen size?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
After watching tonnes of reviews of the iPas mini one of the main complaints is the amount of padding and weird UI elements of iPadOS on the mini, it’s as if the OS is designed for the previous mini and not refreshed for the larger screen.

It is putting me off the device a bit, as currently I am rocking an 11” iPad Pro, but I don’t feel I am getting the full usage potential out of the device as I never take it out with me, whereas a mini I likely would with how small it is.

So I am planning on selling the 11” and getting the mini as I feel it will more than suit my needs, what are the odds of apple updating the software to take advantage of the screen size?
Apple has historically treated the Mini differently. I remember 3 years or so ago when Apple revised the widget screen such that the 12.9 Pro only had a single column of widgets but the Mini retained the 2 columns. It looked great on the Mini, but wasteful on the Pro. It remained that way until the next major revision of iOS. That is when the Mini went to a single stacked column to match the rest of the iPad lineup.

In any event, no one knows what Apple will do to address the scaling and placement of the UI elements on the Mini. I recommend NOT purchasing a Mini 6 in anticipation of Apple doing something (if the current behavior is bothersome)... but to wait to see if Apple actually does something.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

A lot of vendors apps just need to be updated to match the new aspect ratio.

There was thread started to list ones that were.

As for some GUI revision of scaling and placement of the UI elements, time will tell. I using iPadOS 15.2 beta now.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
A lot of vendors apps just need to be updated to match the new aspect ratio.

There was thread started to list ones that were.

The OP isn't referring to the aspect ratio but the size and placement of the UI elements. That's a different (but related) issue.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The OP isn't referring to the aspect ratio but the size and placement of the UI elements. That's a different (but related) issue.
I was going by his comment
as if the OS is designed for the previous mini and not refreshed for the larger screen
Its pretty early still getting developers to update their apps that utilize the full screen resolutions properly, hence the comment about most apps not being updated for mini 6 GUI and the thread link. But as you brought up the auto lock positions as you rotate axis's is still way too primitive.

iPadOS is still too iOS based currently, doesn't scaled for larger resolutions correctly. In portrait its a 5 x 5 grid, in landscape its 4 x 6 grid with the mini 6. There is no variable magnifications of GUI elements like MacOS. This is like going back to later versions of that old Classic Mac OS compared to Mac OS X evolution. It has potential because its Darwin based, but does Apple even motivated to take it that far, as its battery limited. :)

Reactions: smbu2000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.