Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I hope this product gets updated every two years rather be a new model every year with 2016 being version 2. Time will tell…

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
I hope this product gets updated every two years rather be a new model every year with 2016 being version 2. Time will tell…

Agree, I really hope so too. A watch is something that's supposed to last years and years.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Does it really matter? You can always sell the previous version if you want the latest and greatest and people will still pay a ****load of money for it like they do for a year-old iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm guessing it will be at least initially, if the battery is really only a day they are going to want to get that up as fast as possible to make it more usable. After a few generations they might slow down, but I would think that the kind of people that want to buy a smart watch are the same kind that always want to have the latest and greatest technology so there will be a lot of pressure for them to update it regularly.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
It's probably just going to get a little thinner and better battery life over time. I would expect updates every couple of years or so. It doesn't follow any cellular subsidy cycle, so you're certainly not going to see them follow a pattern like the iPhone does currently.

I also to expect it to work without being tethered to your phone. Maybe separate GPS chip and some stuff like that. And it will sync to your phone later.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
I expect it'll be a yearly update. Howcever, I think it'll not get a redesign every year/two years. I'll be more like the Mac where the design is updated every 3-4 years. However, I think 'bigger' updates for the Apple Watch will be times to be not in a year when there's a new iPhone. Therefore, when there's an iPhone 'S' version, there'll be a fairly big Apple Watch update, yet there'll be a smaller one where it's a big iPhone update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.