Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
I have a IPhone 12 promax that I’ve continually paid for AppleCare+. I work with resin and accidently got resin in the volume rocker. It is now non-functional. Only way to adjust the volume is through software. I would love to pay the $99 and get the phone replaced. Does this kind of damage qualify? Thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have a IPhone 12 promax that I’ve continually paid for AppleCare+. I work with resin and accidently got resin in the volume rocker. It is now non-functional. Only way to adjust the volume is through software. I would love to pay the $99 and get the phone replaced. Does this kind of damage qualify? Thanks!
Yes, if the device isn't fully functional, they'll cover it under the accidental damage policy. Cosmetic damage is not covered, but if the volume button doesn't work, that's not cosmetic.

Reactions: Andeddu

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Yep, you’re covered with AppleCare. Just remember to always be polite with them, in store or via online chat, politeness gets you a smooth experience with Apple in my experience.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yep, you’re covered with AppleCare. Just remember to always be polite with them, in store or via online chat, politeness gets you a smooth experience with Apple in my experience.
Politeness gets you a smoother experience with any company. If you treat people badly, you get a worse service.

Reactions: kitKAC

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
My first iPhone 11 Pro I accidentally dropped the phone and it was down three flights of steps. I watch in amazement the phone bounced hard into the air three times before I lost sight of the phone as it bounced along. I yelled heads up to folks who were on the stairs and everyone was able to safely get out of the phones way... I go the stairs to retrieve what I figured was a totally smashed phone. The only damage was to the charging port. which was smashed in hard. I charged the phone overnight on a wireless charger and the next day take the phone to the Apple store and told my story. I told them the Otterbox did an amazing job of protection but the store determined the charging port was beyond repair.

The Apple Store looked up my phone and found it had AppleCare Plus and handed me a new phone as the one I had was only three weeks old. I was figuring they give me a hard time but with me hanging my head in shame for being a big Klutz they took pity in me. I was continuously polite and smiling when approved a new phone. Then they found a second problem and that was collateral damage to the smashed charging port they had to force out the sim tray to get the SIM card out. I had a great experience with the Apple Store and since I was easy going the entire staff got to see what a brand new smashed iPhone 11 Pro looked like.

So being polite and easygoing is the way to go when you bring in a damaged iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.