Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Some old-timers will have lived through the lean years, but since Steve Jobs' second coming, Apple hasn't looked back.

Yet from the death of Steve Jobs, to Jony's departure to hardware missteps, Apple demise have been predicted for decades now.
Not even a 2 year global pandemic has managed to take Apple down.
A global shortage will potentially result in a loss between 4-8 billion next quarter. But I sense that will be just a blip with a bounce back the following quarter.

What other company in the modern times has had such a run of success? Is the Apple brand truly teflon-proof?

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
What other company in the modern times has had such a run of success?
The auto industry easily comes to mind, General Motors and Chrysler's success were measured in decades. They were wildly successful from the 1930s until the 70s It was only during the 1980s when things really went sour, so that's what a 50+ year run? Apple's success is only about 20 years if that.

Is the Apple brand truly teflon-proof?
No of course not. There will be a time when Apple's time in the sun will be eclipsed by another company.

Reactions: eyoungren

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
It can happen in 1 or 2 product cycles. Apple can't become complacent. Picking a phone is still subjective. Some people can like iPhone more and others Android more. But if Apple were to lag for a couple years, Google really had a couple stellar years, and it became undeniable that Android was better, that would be enough to put a stink on Apple's phones business.

Now that Microsoft is making their own PC hardware, it's a bit of a danger on the computer front, but less so. PCs don't have any $1500K+ non-gaming options. If you want a premium build quality computer, Apple doesn't *really* have any competitors.

If we're not talking about phones or PCs, but as Apple has a brand, it would just take a couple bum products. The mixed reality glasses are a risk.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The auto industry easily comes to mind, General Motors and Chrysler's success were measured in decades. They were wildly successful from the 1930s until the 70s It was only during the 1980s when things really went sour, so that's what a 50+ year run? Apple's success is only about 20 years if that.
Well…there's also Sears.

I've got a whole bunch of dead companies to list, but that's a real big one.

Reactions: DarthVader!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It can happen in 1 or 2 product cycles. Apple can't become complacent. Picking a phone is still subjective. Some people can like iPhone more and others Android more. But if Apple were to lag for a couple years, Google really had a couple stellar years, and it became undeniable that Android was better, that would be enough to put a stink on Apple's phones business.

Now that Microsoft is making their own PC hardware, it's a bit of a danger on the computer front, but less so. PCs don't have any $1500K+ non-gaming options. If you want a premium build quality computer, Apple doesn't *really* have any competitors.

If we're not talking about phones or PCs, but as Apple has a brand, it would just take a couple bum products. The mixed reality glasses are a risk.
I would just add that part of Apple's ascendency is its refusal to license the OS of its computers and devices. Google chose that route and they lost all control over the integrity of Android and never got it back. If you want pure Android you have to buy a Google branded phone, because while all the others (Samsung, LG, etc) are based on Android, it's their own version of it. And that isn't anything Google can control or change now.

And it's not Google-branded phones with pure Android that dominate the Android market; it's Samsung with their version of Android.

Reactions: johnb300m

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Excellent example, they were a retailing juggernaut for well over a hundred years. A series of missteps in the 80s doomed the company. They were the Amazon of retailing the prior century and were poised to be what Amazon tuned into if they kept their catalog business.
It didn't help that Sears eventually got snapped up by a hedge fund manager with his own motives and obsessions. He drove away corporate management, and sucked the life out of Sears by selling company property to his own shell company and leasing it back to Sears/Kmart at ridiculous prices.

Eddie Lampert and ESL Invesments is the single reason Die Hard, Craftsman and Kenmore are no longer quality Sears brands and why K-Mart is dead.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I feel that Apple has its teeth in so many things and its roots spread so far I can't see it ever going out, but I can see it being looked at as just another huge soulless fact of life like Microsoft, especially if regulators decide to mess with them.

I do feel like a lot of what made it special has dissipated though. The most interesting thing that they have done that I think genuinely is changing the game across the industry is their bet on ARM processors. Within the next ten years the majority of all computing devices (if they aren't already) will be ARM based, Apple just needs to make sure they stay ahead of everyone else.

I could see a company like Intel actually going down before Apple as a matter of fact if they aren't able to adapt to the realities of the industry quickly.

Reactions: planteater

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I feel that Apple has its teeth in so many things and its roots spread so far I can't see it ever going out, but I can see it being looked at as just another huge soulless fact of life like Microsoft, especially if regulators decide to mess with them.
You don't see Apple as a huge soulless company like Microsoft? Not sure what gives them "soul" over any other massive company like them, unless of course you are talking about the cult like following Apple has from people who pay insane prices for air tag cases and fibre cloths.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
You don't see Apple as a huge soulless company like Microsoft? Not sure what gives them "soul" over any other massive company like them, unless of course you are talking about the cult like following Apple has from people who pay insane prices for air tag cases and fibre cloths.
Why do you consider Microsoft soulless? It sounds extremely fan-boyish.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Apple is so far ahead of the competition, it's impossible for anyone to ever catch up. Apple will only continue growing its lead as it enters more and more markets, and continues providing seamless joyous experiences.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Why do you consider Microsoft soulless? It sounds extremely fan-boyish.
It was a reference to what I quoted in my post. What am I being fan-boyish about? I like some Apple products and have been using them for years. I am very critical of Apple as a company and their anti-consumer practices just as I would be with any other company.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
It was a reference to what I quoted in my post. What am I being fan-boyish about? I like some Apple products and have been using them for years. I am very critical of Apple as a company and their anti-consumer practices just as I would be with any other company.
Ah yes, wrong quotation, not meant for you but your quote!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
why do you see Microsoft as a soulless company?

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I mean, this has been a fact of life for over 20 years I thought? Apple is getting there, and I understand how it could be considered fanboyish to say this and yeah if Apple had a soul it would be the fact that they are really the only electronics/computer company that could be considered a lifestyle brand, but also the fans themselves. Apple's biggest asset at the end of the day are their fans.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I would put the question back to you, what gives a company soul? I would say all the marketing and jazz that go to make people want to identify with that brand is not really soul at all but perfect marketing that gets you to spend more and more on that brand as you think you are getting more out of it then you actually are. Companies are soulless, just some are better at marketing and getting brand loyalty then others. Apple is no different than Microsoft, just Apple is better at upselling you.

• Love
Reactions: AAPLGeek

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
"Will Apple's lustre ever lose it's shine?"

"There will be a time when Apple's time in the sun will be eclipsed by another company."

"Is the Apple brand truly teflon-proof?"

Guys, please :eek:
Someday, Apple's cows will come home to roost, but they can burn that bridge when they get to it.

• Love
Reactions: mw360

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Eventually, yes. Apple's luster will most certainly lose its shine. Such a destiny in inevitable. When? I have no idea.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I would put the question back to you, what gives a company soul? I would say all the marketing and jazz that go to make people want to identify with that brand is not really soul at all but perfect marketing that gets you to spend more and more on that brand as you think you are getting more out of it then you actually are. Companies are soulless, just some are better at marketing and getting brand loyalty then others. Apple is no different than Microsoft, just Apple is better at upselling you.
For me it would be more of a question of ethics and doing the right thing. Apple is spear heading the green movement for larger companies. It could definitely be better, but Apple is miles ahead of say Amazon for instance (No idea where Google is at the moment in this area), which to me is an important thing, and tells me the company has eye for something else than just money.

Another good example would be "Do no evil", which, sadly, is gone now. Or for instance companies that fund research or other things, an example for instance being Novo Nordisk that was founded on and has philanthropy as part of their company goals, through the Novo Nordisk Foundation.

Personally, marketing of the products as such don't mean soul to me. Sure, Apple makes great products, but so does many other companies, and some of Apples product decisions are down right stupid IMHO.

• Haha
Reactions: AAPLGeek

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Meh they have a pretty good gaming offerings. I wouldn't say gaming is souless.

Apple and Microsoft are the Ying and Yang of the computer world with Linux as the ugly sibling people know it's there but don't really acknowledge. Until something or someone comes along to really disrupt this, like a Tesla like company, this will be the status quo and Apple will keep selling you more crap and tell you it's innovative, and the best thing they ever created.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
For me it would be more of a question of ethics and doing the right thing. Apple is spear heading the green movement for larger companies. It could definitely be better, but Apple is miles ahead of say Amazon for instance (No idea where Google is at the moment in this area), which to me is an important thing, and tells me the company has eye for something else than just money.

Another good example would be "Do no evil", which, sadly, is gone now. Or for instance companies that fund research or other things, an example for instance being Novo Nordisk that was founded on and has philanthropy as part of their company goals, through the Novo Nordisk Foundation.

Personally, marketing of the products as such don't mean soul to me. Sure, Apple makes great products, but so does many other companies, and some of Apples product decisions are down right stupid IMHO.
Apple is spear heading the green movement? They purposely have made products that cannot be upgraded with even the basic things like RAM and Hard drives, they make products you cannot fix yourself (or could not, they were taken to court and now have to provide parts) and if you had Apple fix it out of warranty it cost a fortune and was generally just better to toss it and get a new device. Apple is incredibly anti-consumer in this regard and I think is safe to say Apple is motivated by money and money alone, just as any other mega company is. Apple plays the self righteous card in many ways, patting themselves on the back but really they are a premium product for upper middle class and beyond, not a product making the world better for the masses, only those who can afford it.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.