Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
Will Apple's new APFS break audio plug-ins for DAW programs such as Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc...?

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
You can expect that audio apps will need updates to work with 10.13, regardless of the filesystem on the disk. This is especially true for Pro Tools.
I am specifically speaking of plug-ins, as there are literally thousands of them. I cannot imagine all of these devs are going to update all of their plug-ins. This is something that could take years. That is why I am wondering if the APFS will inherently break plug-ins or whether they will still work...

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
The file system structure really doesn't affect if an app will run or not. What determines if an app will run is if there are any major changes to the operating system. Most apps, and that includes plug-ins, will need to be updated for full compatibility.

The major issue will be if an app/plug-in is 32bit or 64bit. Apple plans on eliminating support for 32bit programs next year.

Crisis

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
You should learn more about what a file system really is. It doesn't affect applications. In fact, applications don't know what file systems they are running on.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"That is why I am wondering if the APFS will inherently break plug-ins or whether they will still work..."

The only way you're going to KNOW this is to install APFS and test the plugins you use....

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I am specifically speaking of plug-ins, as there are literally thousands of them. I cannot imagine all of these devs are going to update all of their plug-ins. This is something that could take years. That is why I am wondering if the APFS will inherently break plug-ins or whether they will still work...

The new APFS is not likely to cause incompatibility issues with anything other than utilities that directly make use of the filesystem. (stuff like iDefrag, DiskWarrior, TechTool Pro, etc..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.