Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I just got one of these and am worried AT&T will throttle or remove these plans?

What do you guys think.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I don't believe they have a legal obligation to continue to honor existing unlimited plans. They can change their plans at any time. The only reason they don't is because of the media sh*tstorm if they do, and also that there are probably a significant number of customers who are still holding onto their unlimited plans, who would probably jump ship to T-Mobile or Verizon if forced to give them up.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
these plans are already throttled if you go over 5 gigs in any given month. that is old news

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
If they dropped it, I would transition to a cheaper plan. I could tether through my phone if necessary.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I dropped my unlimited plan & saved $
Unlimited plan is not unlimited! 5G then throttling.
I went from a 4 phones @ 2G each + 1 @ unlimited to family share 30G (15G x 2) and save about $100 per month. 30G is effectively unlimited for us.

Getting rid of the unlimited plan is a mental thing. I had trouble too.

I would like the FCC to correct this unlimited thing.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
these plans are already throttled if you go over 5 gigs in any given month. that is old news

They throttle unlimited on iPhone after 5GB. They do not throttle for the iPad unlimited plan, even if you do 100GB they will not throttle.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Unlimited plan is not unlimited! 5G then throttling.
Like Kendo mentioned above, the unlimited iPad unlimited plan doesn't get throttled like the unlimited smartphone plans do.

Some folks are paying over $1,000 on eBay to buy these unlimited iPad plans. Guess these plans come with "anxiety that AT&T may end them at some point" for no additional cost. :)

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Like Kendo mentioned above, the unlimited iPad unlimited plan doesn't get throttled like the unlimited smartphone plans do.

Some folks are paying over $1,000 on eBay to buy these unlimited iPad plans. Guess these plans come with "anxiety that AT&T may end them at some point" for no additional cost. :)

I'm not losing any sleep over it. lol

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I picked one up too.

If AT&T doesn't throttle or cancel these plans, it will be one of my favorite purchases of all time.

Well in that case, best of luck to the both of us! :D:apple::apple:

I'm already enjoying it immensely, seeing unlimited LTE on my iPad is like being a kid again waking up on Christmas morning, haha.

Shinigami301

Suspended
Jun 5, 2010
cogito, ergo zoom.
I'm sure that if ATT ever does terminate or throttle the unlimited plans, it will be in large part because of these abusers using it for something it was never meant for- tethering and 70-300 gb month data loads.

This is why we can't have nice things. There's always a pig at the salad bar.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Maybe. Stream two hours of video a day (Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go) and you're looking at 60GB a month. If ATT didn't plan on people doing that with a tablet data plan, that's on them. lol

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'm sure that if ATT ever does terminate or throttle the unlimited plans, it will be in large part because of these abusers using it for something it was never meant for- tethering and 70-300 gb month data loads.

This is why we can't have nice things. There's always a pig at the salad bar.

Trust me if they end it which I don't think they will it's not because of us iPad plan owners. We're a small fraction of a fraction of data users. We could uses multiple terabytes and att won't blink.

----------

Well in that case, best of luck to the both of us! :D:apple::apple:

I'm already enjoying it immensely, seeing unlimited LTE on my iPad is like being a kid again waking up on Christmas morning, haha.

It's a great feeling isn't it. Worth every penny. My friend technologge can weigh in on this too.

----------

I just got one of these and am worried AT&T will throttle or remove these plans?

What do you guys think.

You'll be fine. Enjoy your data. I do, about 30-60 gigs every month. Oh and I use it for T-Mobile wifi calling if I need to also.

Shinigami301

Suspended
Jun 5, 2010
cogito, ergo zoom.
Well, if we're really this tiny minority, that pretty much invalidates the argument that Att is afraid of some sort of frenzied backlash. They have no legal obligation to maintain the status quo based on the existing agreements. The language makes it as clear as anything written in legalese, but I doubt most users have read them in detail.

They hold the leash six ways from Sunday.

With that said, the current FTC issues on iPhone UD plans may have them biding their time.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Deaf people like me should keep unlimited data plan so they can use video relay to make calls. I expect that AT&T must honor it. I remembered few months ago when I was on relay video and social security office put me on hold for more than 10 to 15 min then AT&T throttled my unlimited data plan. That was my first time AT&T did this. :apple:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
They throttle unlimited on iPhone after 5GB. They do not throttle for the iPad unlimited plan, even if you do 100GB they will not throttle.

i know someone who has a unlimited iPad plan, ill ask

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
i know someone who has a throttled iPad plan, ill ask

It's not a att iPad unlimited plan then. Cuz it's not throttled. 29.99 a month prepaid plan.

----------

Well, if we're really this tiny minority, that pretty much invalidates the argument that Att is afraid of some sort of frenzied backlash. They have no legal obligation to maintain the status quo based on the existing agreements. The language makes it as clear as anything written in legalese, but I doubt most users have read them in detail.

They hold the leash six ways from Sunday.

With that said, the current FTC issues on iPhone UD plans may have them biding their time.

I think you're worrying for nothing.

T0MMYBOY4

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2013
Do you have a Source for this comment? Or are you just spouting off and not knowing what you're talking about? Please do not make false/misleading comments about the IPAD unlimited plan. They DO NOT, and I repeat myself, DO NOT throttle the iPad unlimited plans. They throttle iPhone plans with unlimited data only. If you have a source to back this up, then it is in fact NEW news, not "old news" as you say. My source...? I have one and use over 300 GIG a month..... never throttled....EVER. Not trying to come off as a D*ck, it just frustrating to see people spread rumors about these amazing $29.99/month plans. That's all.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Not trying to come off as a D*ck, it just frustrating to see people spread rumors about these amazing $29.99/month plans, because I know it will hurt the resale value I get on eBay in a few months. That's all.

There, fixed it for you. ;)

(otherwise why in heck would you be frustrated by what people say about these plans? Seriously??)

For what it's worth, I WAS throttled on my iPad UDP in NYC a couple years ago. Not in my home market, though.

I agree with one thing, I can't see AT&T messing with these until after the iPhone UDP matter is solved.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Do you have a Source for this comment? Or are you just spouting off and not knowing what you're talking about?
Since the context of AT&T unlimited plans on the forums here is almost always in terms of iPhone, you think there's a chance that he just might have accidentally missed that this thread is one of the rare times it wasn't?

Good lord. It's not like he's been repeatedly making the same point in this thread, or hadn't had his point corrected numerous times. Lol

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
My family and I have 4 unlimited iPad plans and our use range from 10-40 gigs a month. We have never been throttled.

There aren't that many unlimited iPad plans out there, so I don't think they will be getting rid of the plans.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
My family and I have 4 unlimited iPad plans and our use range from 10-40 gigs a month. We have never been throttled.

There aren't that many unlimited iPad plans out there, so I don't think they will be getting rid of the plans.

That's awesome. 4 plans. I'm tellin u they're considered gold in the data world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.