Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Just brought a shiny new MacBook home, as soon as I opened the box out came the old 120GB HD for a new 160GB. I know there is only a 40gb difference but thats all I need.
Just wondering after I've done that if the warranty is now void. Tried googleing it, but some people say yes and some say no, so which is it?
Should really have asked this before going ahead!

Towhead

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
Right now is a pretty good time to pick up one of the Hitachi 200GB 7K200 drives on eBay. If you pick the ones with the enclosures (DTG serial #) you might find a good deal. One idiot, "nam thang", put up a dutch auction of 4 and started it at .99c. The drives ended up getting sold for as low as $112 and as high as $120. Very good deals. Many are going right now in the upper 140s. THEY ARE GETTING SOLD OUT so HURRY AND GET YOURS!

Search for "Hitachi 200GB" and look for the red packages with the enclosures and the 7K200. Don't think you will find any out there in the stores unless you've got a Best Buy in the sticks. They're $101 at Bust Buy IF you can find one, just look for the serial number starting with "DTG" and don't forget your 10% coupon from the USPS mover's pack, and your $10 GC for each $100 you spend...

What you do is carbon copy your internal drive, then swap them. Be sure you have the Torx screwdriver needed to unscrew your Macbook drive carrier from the drive to put it on the new drive. My craftsman screwdriver set (the little jewelers-like set) had the right Torx. Later, when you're satisfied the 7K200 is working well convert the original into a Time Machine drive ...

I should add, it took me about twenty minutes for the entire procedure once the carbon copy was done, including opening up the enclosure extracting hard drive, opening macbook, extract hard drive, move carriage from one to the other, re-assemble ... couldn't have been easier, really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.