Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkeely

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
I want to improve the webcam on my 2017 720p iMac running Monterey.

First of all, if I purchase a third-party1080p or higher webcam, can it use the full 1080p or 4K resolution on FaceTime calls, or will it downsize the stream to 720p on an older iMac?

Secondly, are there any webcams you recommend?
My preferences are:
• Wide field of view (does anyone know what the FOV on the old iMac is? It's certainly not wide enough).
• 1080p or higher
• Great, built-in microphones
• Preferably a Center-Stage like feature, but I know that may not exist on third-party webcams

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Yes, connecting a webcam will allow you to send higher resolution video.

I have used many different types for many workplace users - 1080, 4K, and tracking video bars on both PC and Mac platforms.

The one we use a lot for wide FOV, tracking people in a conference or moving presenter - as they move in/out or left/right is the PolyStudio Video bar ($1000).

Has great audio sound bar so you can hear the other party from across the room, microphone picks up from the back of the room and the webcam tracks single or multiple people like the Apple Studio Display Center Stage and super easy USB-A connection.
poly-studio-usb-certified.jpg

hkeely

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
So just to be sure: a webcam will let me send 1020p video over the FaceTime app, even if the computer has only a 720p webcam built-in?

Thanks, 4sallypat, for the feedback, though for $1,000 I might as well start looking at a new Mac with Center Stage built-in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.