Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
I guess these are two areas that fit better for a desktop, but when using Pixelmator for iPad I find not having a color picker to be a crippling deficiency. I’m not sure how exactly a color picker would be implemented within an OS that operates primarily with a very unitary, fullscreen app philosophy. In a similar vein, will TrueType font files ever be allowed on iOS? Being a designer or writer or really any form of ‘artist’ requires being able to use fonts outside of the OS’ supplied wheelhouse. When I open a pages doc on my iPad (my preferred writing tool,) all of the fonts change. Which sucks. The reason I ask about these is because they are concepts that are kind of at odds with iOS, but would be great features to have on an iPad Pro
[doublepost=1529699700][/doublepost]Basically, the question I pose here is of course unanswerable, but I find that a discussion about these more granular aspects of OS design to be fairly salient to partake in.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Pixelmator certainly has a color picker and a font picker. So does Affinity Photo. I'd refer you to the help files for those apps.

As for TrueType fonts, I don't know.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
Pixelmator certainly has a color picker and a font picker. So does Affinity Photo. I'd refer you to the help files for those apps.

As for TrueType fonts, I don't know.

What i meant was a color picker that allows me to add colors into the color well via selecting a pixel on the rasterized ui like you do with the eye dropper tool
[doublepost=1529716554][/doublepost]
Likely a stability and security issue on the font question.
Yeah. But having an app store like in messages would be a good way of implementing it

bojack

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
Merica
I’ve been wondering the same thing. As far as security maybe it can be fonts of their own that they have preloaded on the phone or perhaps sell their own fonts in the App Store. Kind of like how Samsung no longer allows third party fonts and only sells them in their Samsung store.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
What i meant was a color picker that allows me to add colors into the color well via selecting a pixel on the rasterized ui like you do with the eye dropper tool
I’m still not sure what you want. Pixelmator already has an eyedropper tool with pixel level accuracy.

Last edited:

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
I'm not completely sure what you are asking, either.

As far as fonts go, Pages has multiple fonts to choose from to suit your document. Picking a different font doesn't change the system font only the one being used for the document.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.