Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

person123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
So I know Apple offers a 90 day warranty on the devices they service (considering they're not under warranty, then you have either 90 days from date of service or just until your standard 1 year/ extended warranty expires, whichever is later). Do they still do this considering how many battery replacements they're doing? I've experienced my Mac being serviced many times out of my warranty timeframe because I was under the 90 day warranty, and it would start a new 90 days each time I serviced it so it was pretty cool. As of now, my iPhone has some GPS issues (iPhone 6) and it is out of warranty. I definitely need the battery replaced, so I was wondering if I'd be able to get the battery replaced then cash in on the GPS issue? Please spare me the ethics lesson, but if you do have knowledge on this subject matter then please do share.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Can not see Apple extending your warranty because they put in a new battery. The battery would be covered but not your entire phone. If you get a new battery for your car, it does not extend the warranty on the vehicle.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Besides I’m sure they do a diagnostic check regardless. So they’ll know your GPS isn’t working.

Why not man up and get it fixed.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
So I know Apple offers a 90 day warranty on the devices they service (considering they're not under warranty, then you have either 90 days from date of service or just until your standard 1 year/ extended warranty expires, whichever is later). Do they still do this considering how many battery replacements they're doing? I've experienced my Mac being serviced many times out of my warranty timeframe because I was under the 90 day warranty, and it would start a new 90 days each time I serviced it so it was pretty cool. As of now, my iPhone has some GPS issues (iPhone 6) and it is out of warranty. I definitely need the battery replaced, so I was wondering if I'd be able to get the battery replaced then cash in on the GPS issue? Please spare me the ethics lesson, but if you do have knowledge on this subject matter then please do share.

Depends on if they send out your phone for the new battery, do an instore battery swap, or just swap phones (because of the backlog)

person123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Can not see Apple extending your warranty because they put in a new battery. The battery would be covered but not your entire phone. If you get a new battery for your car, it does not extend the warranty on the vehicle.
Car is different, for example the MacBook was serviced for issues unrelated the the original service (screen was replaced which I paid for, then a month later some internal motherboard components went out and were fixed for free).
[doublepost=1515447104][/doublepost]
Besides I’m sure they do a diagnostic check regardless. So they’ll know your GPS isn’t working.

Why not man up and get it fixed.
The “fix” involves paying 329$ for a phone that is 3 years old cause, of course, it’s an unrepairable issue and the whole phone needs to be replaced. Buying a new phone requires money that I am also lacking. So at this point I can either pay for my MCAT or buy a new phone. When I’m a doc I’ll throw money at all my problems to make them go away as you suggested but until then I gotta be strategic. However I like what you said about the diagnostic, this is very true. Well thought out good sir.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.