Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Izzywhizz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
I was about to buy a MacBook Pro and thought it would be best to wait for High Sierra to come out.
I understand that the OS is free but I figured it would be less hassle if it came shipped with the new Mac, so I don't mind waiting around till after 25th September but I have actually no idea if Apple would update the Macs you bought in store with High Sierra.

Do you think that is the case?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
From the moment HS goes live all new MacBooks will be flashed with it from the factory. Existing models in stock will have the older version pre-installed.

It is free and it really isn't a hassle. App Store will automatically download it and you just hit okay, takes around 30 minutes. Welcome to the world of "Ask me later"...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
While new-from-factory will in fairly short order, the ones in stock in stores won't be upgraded by the store. So if you get a "configure to order" online via apple.com, you'll get High Sierra. But if you walk in to an Apple Store even a couple weeks after High Sierra's release, it'll be pretty random as to whether you get one with High Sierra or not.

Izzywhizz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
That makes sense, it would take time for the OS to filter through. I guess I will just order online, I am in no real hurry.
Thank you for the responses

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.