Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leighlo46137

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2018
I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro currently using OSx 10.8.5. Looking to finally upgrade to High Sierra. I bought this laptop off ebay "pre-loaded" with creative software (I think primarily volume licenses, but I have no way of knowing) that is my lifeline -- final cut pro (7), adobe creative suite CS6, etc... and I can't afford to lose them. Will this upgrade render these programs null and out-of-date, or vulnerable to any security/cloud/licensing check of some kind? Layman's terminology appreciated.... thank you

leighlo46137

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2018
thank you @Weaselboy ! That's definitely helpful to know.

@fisherking I'm also concerned about that -- i found this video interesting but worried that its "too easy to be true"?

i feel more confident to try the upgrade, with maybe a drive backup just in case.

thank you!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If you don't want to jeopardize the apps you have installed, I'd suggest this.

You'll need an EXTERNAL USB drive.

Download the High Sierra installer, but DON'T run it (on your internal drive).
Instead, choose to do an install of HS onto your EXTERNAL drive.
After the install, you will be placed into the setup app.
Begin setup, and when setup assistant asks if you wish to migrate data from another drive, "aim it" at the INTERNAL drive.

Setup assistant will "migrate your stuff" from the internal to the external drive.

NOW...
You can boot and run from the external drive "in test mode".
Without disturbing the current installation on your internal drive.

You can check each application, etc. -- to see if it works as expected with High Sierra.

When you're satisfied, you can then install HS onto your INTERNAL drive.

By the way, I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you create a USB flashdrive installer for High Sierra (instead of just "installing from the download").
You'll need a USB flashdrive 8gb or 16gb, and the free app "Boot Buddy":
Boot Buddy – sqwarq
With BB, it takes only a few clicks of the mouse to create the flashdrive installer.
Then boot from the flash drive and do your installs that way.

Reactions: leighlo46137

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
or, clone your mac to an external drive (with something like carbon copy cloner), then update the mac. if you're not happy (and before you do or save any work), you can restore from the clone. seems simpler to me...

Reactions: leighlo46137

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro currently using OSx 10.8.5. Looking to finally upgrade to High Sierra. I bought this laptop off ebay "pre-loaded" with creative software (I think primarily volume licenses, but I have no way of knowing) that is my lifeline -- final cut pro (7), adobe creative suite CS6, etc... and I can't afford to lose them. Will this upgrade render these programs null and out-of-date, or vulnerable to any security/cloud/licensing check of some kind? Layman's terminology appreciated.... thank you

Is there some reason you need High Sierra, though?
Upgrading is the last thing I'd do with software whose licenses I do not own.

leighlo46137

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2018
Is there some reason you need High Sierra, though?
Upgrading is the last thing I'd do with software whose licenses I do not own.
yeah, that was my feeling originally. was getting fed up with my internet browsing limitations

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"was getting fed up with my internet browsing limitations"

If you're having those problems mainly in Safari (I was, too) -- try some different browsers.
There are several out there:
Firefox
iCab
Waterfox
Epic privacy browser
Vivaldi
Brave
Opera

One I would NOT recommend is Chrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.