Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjuft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
I'm buying a new laptop for video editing, and got curious if i would actually benefit from getting one with a graphics card.

I spend 90% of my time editing in premiere pro and also do a lot of transcoding XAVC video to ProRes before editing.

I have read about premiere being mostly CPU dependant and therefore i was wondering if i would benefit from buying a macbook pro with better CPU and intel integrated graphics like the Iris pro.

I'm probably buying a used 2015 version, but was wondering i should buy one with a better CPU and integrated graphics, opposed of buying a lower end CPU with a dedicated graphics card?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
The only real benefit is time, if you absolutely must have stuff completed ASAP then get the best you can, otherwise get cheaper and wait a few minutes longer. That's pretty much it in a nutshell, you can do it all with either, just one is faster. It's sometimes worth grabbing a dGPU for future use if the price is the same but I wouldn't prioritise an AMD GPU for CC, it's all geared towards nVidea.

sjuft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
The only real benefit is time, if you absolutely must have stuff completed ASAP then get the best you can, otherwise get cheaper and wait a few minutes longer. That's pretty much it in a nutshell, you can do it all with either, just one is faster. It's sometimes worth grabbing a dGPU for future use if the price is the same but I wouldn't prioritise an AMD GPU for CC, it's all geared towards nVidea.

I Think you misunderstood my question. My current system wont even playback 4K files or compressed 1080p h264 in realtime. So thats my primary reason for upgrading. I dont really care if my render time is 20 minutes or 40 minutes as know that basicly depends on how powerful (and therefore expensive) my system is.

But what i really meant was, if i could go for two different macbook pros at the same price. One with a i7 2,8ghz and integrated graphics vs one with a lower ghz processor but a dedicated graphics card. Which one would be best suited for editing?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I Think you misunderstood my question. My current system wont even playback 4K files or compressed 1080p h264 in realtime. So thats my primary reason for upgrading. I dont really care if my render time is 20 minutes or 40 minutes as know that basicly depends on how powerful (and therefore expensive) my system is.

But what i really meant was, if i could go for two different macbook pros at the same price. One with a i7 2,8ghz and integrated graphics vs one with a lower ghz processor but a dedicated graphics card. Which one would be best suited for editing?

Honestly the answer is yes and no. If it was an nVidea card then yes, CC makes good use of CUDA. If you were using Final Cut Pro then yes, it's optimised for Macs (AMD); so it's kind of yes and no. The CPU is where most if not all processing happens, and modern Intel's have dedicated instructions for 8bit/10bit decoding/encoding.

So the short answer is a better CPU will be more beneficial over a dGPU. A dGPU can and may add benefit in the future, although arguably not much and not worth it if budgeting. You'd be best without the dGPU and getting an external enclosure for a proper GPU if the situation ever arose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.