Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BullyofSmeg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
So I was beta testing iOS 13 and got as far as 13.1 beta 2 before deciding to un-enroll and delete the beta profile from my iPhone XS Max (I didn’t roll back, I just deleted the profile so I am currently running 13.1 beta 2).

My question is whether, come 13.0 GM release date on 19th Sept, I will receive the 13.0 GM or will it not prompt an update until 13.1 GM is released on 30th Sept?

Thank you in advance.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
So I was beta testing iOS 13 and got as far as 13.1 beta 2 before deciding to un-enroll and delete the beta profile from my iPhone XS Max (I didn’t roll back, I just deleted the profile so I am currently running 13.1 beta 2).

My question is whether, come 13.0 GM release date on 19th Sept, I will receive the 13.0 GM or will it not prompt an update until 13.1 GM is released on 30th Sept?

Thank you in advance.
Since you're on 13.1 now, you'll have to wait until 13.1 gets released, though I think I'd read that you can go from 13.1 Beta to, to 13 GM (you'd have to search and find that), and not sure if it causes data loss/corruption/etc.

Reactions: BullyofSmeg

BullyofSmeg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Since you're on 13.1 now, you'll have to wait until 13.1 gets released, though I think I'd read that you can go from 13.1 Beta to, to 13 GM (you'd have to search and find that), and not sure if it causes data loss/corruption/etc.
Ok, thanks for the reply, it’s not like it’s a long wait for 13.1 so I’ll just wait to see what it offers me OTA.

was just curious really.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Ok, thanks for the reply, it’s not like it’s a long wait for 13.1 so I’ll just wait to see what it offers me OTA.

was just curious really.

I have just downgraded from 13.1 to 13.0 today and so far, there’s been no data loss and everything looks ok

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Although this is uncharted territory for Apple, the way they've rolled out the GMs for iOS 13 seems to indicate that there will not be a direct path from a 13.1 beta back to the 13.0 release version. You can still get back by downloading the 13.0 IPSW (when it is available to the public next week) and restoring back to it. However, if you have don't have a 13.0 archived backup, you quite likely will not be able to restore from a backup, hence the possible data loss. But if you do have an archived backup, you would be good to go. I think, though, that you're smart to wait.

Reactions: BullyofSmeg

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Out of curiosity, any particular reason for the downgrade?

I’ve realised that living without work emails isn’t as easy as I thought it would be, so I’m wanting to get access to work emails on the Monday after iOS 13has been released.

That, and I’d like my WhatsApp chats to actually be backed up.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

was just curious really.

Considering there will be just 11 days gap between public releases of iOS 13.0 and 13.1, I would just stick to your iOS 13.1 beta cycle and remove the beta profile just before 30 Sep, when iOS 13.1 is due. IMHO, you will save yourself plenty of time, energy and health doing so. ;)

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Yes, though I’m on Catalina: option and click the upgrade button and use the IPSW containing the image.
Did you need Xcode beta to do this? When I tried rolling back it was saying that I couldn’t.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Every time I use One UI I get iOS 13 jelly. Is it worth going to the dev GM or .1 betas right now or just wait until the OTA on the 20th?

Be kind to yourself and just wait for the iOS 13 official release in 4 days. You can then just update your iPhone OTA totally fuss-free.

Reactions: gwhizkids

PlainEnvelopes

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2018
So can we rollback to iOS 13 GM from 13.1 Beta 3?

Yes, I did it on both mine and my wife's phone this morning. I used the link i posted above everything went super smooth. I am using the gmail app for now. did not want to deal with fixing the mail app.

Reactions: Maclver

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
I’m torn between rolling back my X so I can have a backup for my 11 Pro on Friday or just setting up my phone as new. I’ve never set a phone up as new but with messages in the cloud and everything else being linked to the cloud I feel as if a backup is not as necessary. I have about 250 apps on my phone 75% of which I probably don’t use so I’d just have to start clean with those and download them.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I’ve realised that living without work emails isn’t as easy as I thought it would be, so I’m wanting to get access to work emails on the Monday after iOS 13has been released.

That, and I’d like my WhatsApp chats to actually be backed up.
I went back to iOS 13 beta 8 because of a game I played could not connect to cellular after updating to iOS 13.1 beta 1 and beta 2 but could in iOS 13 beta 8. After a bit of hassle syncing back my entire iTunes library, the downgrading process worked out well enough, although Voice Memo app was broken, and stock mail app was painfully slow and buggy.
Did you need Xcode beta to do this? When I tried rolling back it was saying that I couldn’t.
I think the easiest way for you to do is using Catalina beta to roll back to iOS 13 GM if needed. The catch is you first need a time machine backup. Then, right before restoring your time machine backup, use the disk utility to delete all partitions and create a single volume, otherwise the restore will fail. I have no idea how Xcode beta and iTunes works, plus it needs iTunes 12.9 or later, which is a no go for me (I am using High Sierra).
So can we rollback to iOS 13 GM from 13.1 Beta 3?
Yes, technically, and you have the option to not lose your data. I think the easiest way for you to roll back is using Catalina beta (or GM version in that matter) to roll back. See my post above.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009

I'm not sure I follow this--was there a problem with iOS 13.1 betas and Exchange/ActiveSync support in native mail app or something?

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
I’m torn between rolling back my X so I can have a backup for my 11 Pro on Friday or just setting up my phone as new. I’ve never set a phone up as new but with messages in the cloud and everything else being linked to the cloud I feel as if a backup is not as necessary. I have about 250 apps on my phone 75% of which I probably don’t use so I’d just have to start clean with those and download them.
I had not realized we were already in iOS 13.1... I was planning on updating 11 Pro to iOS 13... Looks like I will be doing that and rolling back iPhone X to iOS 13 tonight.

Any tips on how to do this? I wish I could just restore from a iOS 13 backup.
[doublepost=1568594457][/doublepost]Theoretically, could I enroll my new iPhone in the beta? Then, unenroll and wait for iOS 13.1 GM to update out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.