Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KFridman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2020
New York State
I have a Late 2012 21" iMac (13,1). It was the low end model. A few years ago I updated it with a 256 SSD and increased it to 16GB from the original 8GB. It is running Catalina (10.15.7). That's the last it could get.

I'm anticipating that it will stop receiving security updates once Ventura goes live. I've read Apple supports the current OS version and two years back. That would leave Catalina off of the list.

It's running very well although I don't use it much since I bought the MBA with M1. I don't plan to replace it. Normally I wouldn't put security software on my Apple products. However, I really don't think I'd have much to lose here. I guess my other option would be to disconnect from the internet and use it as a word processor and music player.

Somewhere I read I could install Firefox and have less to worry about security and viruses and such. Is it that simple? Load Firefox, stay vigilant, don't worry?

Does anyone see another option or why I shouldn't load the software. I should add that it does have Malwarebytes on it. The shop that upgraded it put it on without telling me until it was there so I just left it as the machine is running well.

Thanks for any input.

Reactions: zapmymac

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Once Apple stops providing security updates, that doesn't mean your Mac is instantly vulnerable, not does that mean that you need to start getting antivirus SW.

There are plenty of people that are using older OS versions without issue. For example, many iMacs that are daily used with only High Sierra on them.

My daily used 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 has El Capitan.

There are people that are daily using PPC Macs.

Somewhere I read I could install Firefox and have less to worry about security and viruses and such.
Firefox tends to be supported for many years after Apple stops supporting an OS. This would be a good idea for you if you access sensitive data on you iMac. Although, you won't need that as soon as Apple stops providing security updates to Catalina, you could wait a long while.

I should add that it does have Malwarebytes on it.
I have been using various anti-malware SW on my Macs since I had my WoW account compromised many years ago. I wasn't sure how it happened so I started using a paid SW (can't remember the name).

I never found any Mac malware, ever. I still run it on occasion on my Macs, just to be safe, and still never found anything harmful to Macs.

My WoW PW at the time was not very complex, so it probably was just brute forced.

There was a time that I found malware and viruses for Windows from a kids' camera I purchased from Amazon. Preloaded with malware.

Thanks for any input.
Being safe isn't bad, but I think that people sometimes stress over it a little too much.

I think you have to weight your risk.

Example, wearing a helmet in my car for my commute would provide a lot more protection against head injuries, but the chances of me getting into an accident is very low for my commute.

Now, if I was auto crossing, then the risk of head injuries would be higher, so wearing a helmet would probably be more worth it.

It is the same for electronics.

KFridman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2020
New York State
Once Apple stops providing security updates, that doesn't mean your Mac is instantly vulnerable, not does that mean that you need to start getting antivirus SW.

There are plenty of people that are using older OS versions without issue. For example, many iMacs that are daily used with only High Sierra on them.

My daily used 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 has El Capitan.

There are people that are daily using PPC Macs.

Firefox tends to be supported for many years after Apple stops supporting an OS. This would be a good idea for you if you access sensitive data on you iMac. Although, you won't need that as soon as Apple stops providing security updates to Catalina, you could wait a long while.

I have been using various anti-malware SW on my Macs since I had my WoW account compromised many years ago. I wasn't sure how it happened so I started using a paid SW (can't remember the name).

I never found any Mac malware, ever. I still run it on occasion on my Macs, just to be safe, and still never found anything harmful to Macs.

My WoW PW at the time was not very complex, so it probably was just brute forced.

There was a time that I found malware and viruses for Windows from a kids' camera I purchased from Amazon. Preloaded with malware.

Being safe isn't bad, but I think that people sometimes stress over it a little too much.

I think you have to weight your risk.

Example, wearing a helmet in my car for my commute would provide a lot more protection against head injuries, but the chances of me getting into an accident is very low for my commute.

Now, if I was auto crossing, then the risk of head injuries would be higher, so wearing a helmet would probably be more worth it.

It is the same for electronics.
Hey - thanks for that extensive reply. Doesn't seem like I will have to change much, if anything. At least for now. It was my first Apple product so I'd hate to pull the plug on it.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
t was my first Apple product so I'd hate to pull the plug on it.
No need to do that, many of us are using as old, or even much older Macs.

Another thought, I have no data to back this up, and it is based on my own experience as well as stuff I read in the forum, but a lot of Mac users that get malware or have their accounts "hacked" usually do it to themselves by falling for phishing emails, downloading shady apps, using weak passwords, clicking on pop-ups saying "your device has been compromised", etc.

I am sure there will be replies with claims that people got malware from doing legit stuff, and maybe it happens, but probably not often, imo.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have a Late 2012 21" iMac (13,1). It was the low end model. A few years ago I updated it with a 256 SSD and increased it to 16GB from the original 8GB. It is running Catalina (10.15.7). That's the last it could get.

I'm anticipating that it will stop receiving security updates once Ventura goes live. I've read Apple supports the current OS version and two years back. That would leave Catalina off of the list.

It's running very well although I don't use it much since I bought the MBA with M1. I don't plan to replace it. Normally I wouldn't put security software on my Apple products. However, I really don't think I'd have much to lose here. I guess my other option would be to disconnect from the internet and use it as a word processor and music player.

Somewhere I read I could install Firefox and have less to worry about security and viruses and such. Is it that simple? Load Firefox, stay vigilant, don't worry?

Does anyone see another option or why I shouldn't load the software. I should add that it does have Malwarebytes on it. The shop that upgraded it put it on without telling me until it was there so I just left it as the machine is running well.

Thanks for any input.
Today, the most common vector of any malware is the browser. So the suggestion of installing a more up-to-date browser is correct, be it Firefox or other browsers like Brave, Edge, etc.

Protecting yourself digitally should be thought of regardless of whether you are running a supported OS or not. These are my mantra:
1. Create a separate admin account and set your day-to-day account as a regular user account.
2. Enable Firewall. I'm always surprised that macOS doesn't have this enabled by default on first installs.
3. Use up-to-date browser as mentioned. If the default browser is no longer updated (it sucks that Apple paired Safari updates with OS updates), simply use the alternatives (Firefox, Brave are great ones).
4. Use ad-blocker. This will cut off many potential accidentals. I use Brave because it has built-in ad-blocker. Every browsers nowadays have plenty of ad-blocker extension. uBlock Origin is a good one.
5. Be aware of email phishing. This is another vector, of emails masquerading as legitimate emails from your banks/paypal/ecommerce, etc.
6. Employ 2FA on your online accounts for everything (Email, bank accounts, etc).
7. Be aware of free wifi spots. Try not to use them if you can. If you must, enable stealth mode on the macOS Firewall setting, and enable block all incoming connections temporarily. Windows is better in this one, as it simply offers two settings, Public or Private for connected networks.

KFridman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2020
New York State
Today, the most common vector of any malware is the browser. So the suggestion of installing a more up-to-date browser is correct, be it Firefox or other browsers like Brave, Edge, etc.

Protecting yourself digitally should be thought of regardless of whether you are running a supported OS or not. These are my mantra:
1. Create a separate admin account and set your day-to-day account as a regular user account.
2. Enable Firewall. I'm always surprised that macOS doesn't have this enabled by default on first installs.
3. Use up-to-date browser as mentioned. If the default browser is no longer updated (it sucks that Apple paired Safari updates with OS updates), simply use the alternatives (Firefox, Brave are great ones).
4. Use ad-blocker. This will cut off many potential accidentals. I use Brave because it has built-in ad-blocker. Every browsers nowadays have plenty of ad-blocker extension. uBlock Origin is a good one.
5. Be aware of email phishing. This is another vector, of emails masquerading as legitimate emails from your banks/paypal/ecommerce, etc.
6. Employ 2FA on your online accounts for everything (Email, bank accounts, etc).
7. Be aware of free wifi spots. Try not to use them if you can. If you must, enable stealth mode on the macOS Firewall setting, and enable block all incoming connections temporarily. Windows is better in this one, as it simply offers two settings, Public or Private for connected networks.
Thanks for all the info. I feel much more confident of being able to continue using my iMAC. Appreciate your help.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec

Thanks for any input.
Why are you so nervous suddenly ? Are you that much nervous each time Apple has launched a new OS? I’m in your situation. A late 2012 i5 iMac with its native Mountain Lion on the internal FD and Catalina, Mojave and High Sierra on external SSD. No security problem whatsoever since 2012. Lucky? Maybe.

KFridman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2020
New York State
Why are you so nervous suddenly ? Are you that much nervous each time Apple has launched a new OS? I’m in your situation. A late 2012 i5 iMac with its native Mountain Lion on the internal FD and Catalina, Mojave and High Sierra on external SSD. No security problem whatsoever since 2012. Lucky? Maybe.
Maybe I don’t understand some of this stuff as well as others do. I have this impression that sometime after Catalina stops getting security updates my iMac would become vulnerable to malware, viruses, hacks, etc. From what I’m hearing in response I am more concerned than I need to be. I appreciate your info.

SPJones

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2022

Thanks for any input.
hi @KFridman - I'm in the same position. Good to see here that the general consensus is that there's life in the old iMac yet! I bought my 2012 21" iMac second hand and it has been a revelation compared to my previous use of Windows and Linux machines in terms of integration with my iPad (which I use at work) and given that it is more than capable of doing everything I need it to (Zoom for WFH, email and occasional streaming of sports or films), it'd be irresponsible to throw it away only to buy a newer machine and underutilise it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to patch a more modern version of Safari without having to patch the entire OS?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
hi @KFridman - I'm in the same position. Good to see here that the general consensus is that there's life in the old iMac yet! I bought my 2012 21" iMac second hand and it has been a revelation compared to my previous use of Windows and Linux machines in terms of integration with my iPad (which I use at work) and given that it is more than capable of doing everything I need it to (Zoom for WFH, email and occasional streaming of sports or films), it'd be irresponsible to throw it away only to buy a newer machine and underutilise it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to patch a more modern version of Safari without having to patch the entire OS?
Unfortunately, no. Apple is the one deciding what minimum macOS version the latest Safari can be installed on.

But, alternative more up to date browsers are easily available. I have a 2012 Mac mini in the same boat, with Catalina being the last official OS on it. I simply start using other browsers. Personally I use Brave, but other browsers like Firefox and Edge still supports Catalina. And it's easy to set a different default browser on macOS.

SPJones

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2022
Unfortunately, no. Apple is the one deciding what minimum macOS version the latest Safari can be installed on.

But, alternative more up to date browsers are easily available. I have a 2012 Mac mini in the same boat, with Catalina being the last official OS on it. I simply start using other browsers. Personally I use Brave, but other browsers like Firefox and Edge still supports Catalina. And it's easy to set a different default browser on macOS.
Thanks. I tried switching to FF but keep find myself coming back to Safari. Had never heard of Brave before, so thanks for the heads up, will take a look :)

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I figure I’ll use my 2013 MacBook Pro connected to the internet (only at home) until someone confirms an active zero-day exploit in the wild…is this the just?

I already run Firefox as my main browser, and Office is not installed.

At that point I’ll switch over to Linux (Mint)

It’s a bummer as my machine looks and acts like it did the day I bought it 🥰

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.