Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
Hi to everyone, long story here.
I live far away from an Apple store and want an iPhone 5s on day 1. I am a visiting student and will leave US by December.... If I buy a full price iPhone from Tmobile store, will it be unlocked? Actually I am on a prepaid sim of theirs....

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hi to everyone, long story here.
I live far away from an Apple store and want an iPhone 5s on day 1. I am a visiting student and will leave US by December.... If I buy a full price iPhone from Tmobile store, will it be unlocked? Actually I am on a prepaid sim of theirs....

Nope. The iPhones sold in T-Mobile stores are all locked to T-Mobile whether you pay full price for them or not.

Your options are to: order online or at an Apple store for an unlocked one
or
Buy the locked one from a T-Mobile store full price. They will unlock it for you after 40 days of service with them.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
ok thanks... however chatting with apple store cs they said that tmobile ip5 is unlocked... what a mess!

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
ok thanks... however chatting with apple store cs they said that tmobile ip5 is unlocked... what a mess!

They've told me the same, the T-mobile iPhone 5s will be unlocked and fully functional on At&t too.

Shan S.

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
So I just checked out the 5c carrier details page. It should be the same for the 5s

Take a look at this screenshot.. It is hard to 100% tell for sure, but it may be unlocked. The fine print at the bottom goes a bit into detail about the SIM.

eqa7uqav.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.