Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dikey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
I am now using iPhone 13 Pro Max which equiped with a quite low PWM frequency (238hz) OLED screen.

I feel uncomfortable compare the iPhone 13 Pro Max to my previous iPhone XR.

There's already a higher PWM dimming frequency as high as 1920hz, but Samsung still uses 240hz or 480hz in OLED, And I know there are many manufacturers that use OLED screens without flicker in TV.

So, if it's difficult to accomplish DC dimming in mobile phones, is it possible we can get a higher PWM dimming frequency iPhone?

iPhone 14 or iPhone 15?

Or even iPhone 16 with miniLED or iPhone 20 with microLED... it's too late and it is another question...

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Those of us who care about this problem have been waiting since the iPhone X. The waiting for a non flickering display continues. Nothing on the horizon suggests it won’t be business as usual for the next several generations of iPhones

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Anyone’s guess on what Apple will do in subsequent iPhones. Apple did put a new display engine in the A15. If you want to see change then send a note to Apple Feedback. More people that report this, the more notice Apple will take.

Reactions: saintforlife

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
iPhone 13 Mini and the standard Pro use a PWM frequency of up to 510Hz. iPhone 13 goes all the way to 610Hz. iPhone 13 Pro Max is the odd duckling out still using the same frequency as the X/XS/11/12 series.

That being said, it’s an improvement but still not enough for me to be able to comfortably use a modern iPhone.

Hopefully at this point we see Apple continue to raise rates each generation until they’re well above 1000Hz or flicker-free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.