Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Never owned one.... I'm assuming it's stuck back on some older iOS version like my first iPod touch lol.... In any case no, jailbreaking won't allow you to install any other firmware than the last signed version for that particular model. Curious though, what's it running? iOS 6xxx?

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Thanks. Would you guys happen to know of an email app for gmail that still works on an iPad 1 (iOS 5.1)? (Gmail won't let me log in anymore and every app I checked in the App Store requires a newer iOS.)

dembu19

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2013
Poland
Thanks. Would you guys happen to know of an email app for gmail that still works on an iPad 1 (iOS 5.1)? (Gmail won't let me log in anymore and every app I checked in the App Store requires a newer iOS.)

If the app requires a newer IOS, install the app on your PC or MAC under the ITunes. Then, you go to the appstore on the phone and it will let you install a latest app which is supported for your IOS.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I tried that but it was already set to "less secure". I didn't know about that function so thank you for mentioning it.

Their latest app requires iOS 7 and I am on iOS 5. I sent an email to the developers of the Safe Mail app to see if I can download an earlier version.

If the app requires a newer IOS, install the app on your PC or MAC under the ITunes. Then, you go to the appstore on the phone and it will let you install a latest app which is supported for your IOS.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Thank you but what is that app called? I'm asking because every mail app I've seen in the App Store requires a minimum of iOS 7. The basic Gmail app is iOS 7.1 or later.

The stock Mail app works fine with a Gmail account on an iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1.

Simche

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2015
Europe
You can't really do that unfortunately, but you can make it "look a like" and customise it to get similiar features and interface-gestures. It won't be a super smooth experience but that's what you can do :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.