Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stelibire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
I run fairly heavy workloads on my Macbook Pro 15in 2017. I am frustrated by a combination of loud fan noise and thermal throttling, but I can't perform any of the more significant mods like adding thermal paste because it is a work machine.

Has anyone done research on how effective lifting/suspending the computer (to give the fan more space) is in reducing these issues? Are there other non-invasive solutions other than this to thermal issues?

Perhaps putting the computer on a bag of ice? (Mostly a joke!)

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes it will improve performance. The bottom is cooling the interior and when sitting flat on the table the heat have a harder time getting away, so lifting it up in the back end helps.
Remember that this is just improving passive cooling and have no influence for the fans, you will at most get a few C with this.

If you have had the Mac since 2017 I would recommend getting it dusted. if you are not able to take the bottom of or have IT do it, you can use a can of compressed air in the intake and exhaust to move the worst dust out.

Also if you have free access to instaling software (I know some companies restrict this) you can install a fan controller. It will not allow you to turn it down below what system thinks, but you can set it higher which can be used preemptive and ensure a more consistant fan noise.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Raising the computer is a good idea.

Here are a few additional things to try.
  • If you have a hard case on your unit you can try removing. The MBP uses the metal case as part of it's cooling. Some people say the hard cases interfere with this heat transfer.
  • If this is no too much work on a company computer, there is the option of removing the bottom case and blowing off the fans. That should not be nearly as intrusive as repasting the heat-sink.
  • And make sure you run Activity Monitor to see what is causing your system to generate a lot of heat. Things like ads on webpages can use a lot of processing, and an ad-blocker can do wonders to get the temps back under control.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
Yes, putting it on a stand (any number of stands and styles are available on Amazon) and a Fan monitor / control program (I use Mac Fan Control). Adding a desk top fan (Amazon "Desk fan") directed at the Mac will help also. The more surface area of the MAC, open to airflow the better.

KenK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.