Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KBK1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
Have an old Film on my G5 I have decided to finish editing, but the system is so old and outdated software issues are insurmountable. Thought I would try to move the project to my MacBook Pro notebook with High Sierra to finish editing it. Managed to move the project to the Notebook and now need to move my copy of FinalCut Pro 5.1.4 to the High Sierra Notebook to continue editing the film. Not sure if this will work. Does anyone have any ideas? Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
First off, there is no such thing as FCP 5.1.4. And no, you can not simply copy an App Store app randomly to other machines and expect it to work. Especially if coming from such an ancient machine. There's also no need since, if you've actually bought FCP, you simply download it again on the other machine with the Apple ID that you bought it with. A version (the most recent compatible version) that actually runs on that particular machine.

And no, there is no going back to the age-old machine with the same library. But then, why would you even want to?

Reactions: KBK1

Chucks4me

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
Well, High Sierra is osx 10.13.x, 10.5.x is Leopard. There is a 11 years time difference.
I doubt FCP 5 will run on High Sierra as FCP 7 was already not supported anymore.
There is one way to get FCP 7 running under High Sierra with the app named Retroactive.
Or if you have access to FCPX convert your project to FCPX and finish in the newer software.
Alternatively you could find a cheap 3,1 Mac Pro and you can run all old systems from Tiger to El Capitan on one machine. On that system you can run FCP 4.5, 5, 6, 7 and FCPX up to version 10.3 depending on the osx version.

Reactions: KBK1 and throAU

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Wait… are we literally talking about FCP version FIVE??! Holy sh… yeah, no. 😂 Absolutely NOT going to happen if that's the case. Even Final Cut 7 was deprecated ages ago, never mind something as painfully archaic as v5. The mere fact that none are even 64bit makes it an absolute no-go, period.

And use some ransom hack or buy an equally old machine just for this? Seriously? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Bottom line: if we are actually talking FC v5 then just plain forget it. While there is a path to Final Cut v10.x it's ridiculously convoluted and would entail various app purchases (starting with FC 10!) to get it to even work. Hardly with the effort. Take your footage and re-edit. Done.

KBK1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
First off, there is no such thing as FCP 5.1.4. And no, you can not simply copy an App Store app randomly to other machines and expect it to work. Especially if coming from such an ancient machine. There's also no need since, if you've actually bought FCP, you simply download it again on the other machine with the Apple ID that you bought it with. A version (the most recent compatible version) that actually runs on that particular machine.

And no, there is no going back to the age-old machine with the same library. But then, why would you even want to?
Thanks RSK. You realized I was talking about FCP 5.1 (sorry I transcribed FCP 5.1.4 , i just copied how Apple described it in the “About” window for the installed FCP software on my ancient G5.) FYI, I did buy FCP studio and have the installation disks and the key. As for why would I want to go back to my old library to retrieve the project, it is an edited hour of a film that got shelved and I would like to retrieve it to save time editing it.

KBK1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
Wait… are we literally talking about FCP version FIVE??! Holy sh… yeah, no. 😂 Absolutely NOT going to happen if that's the case. Even Final Cut 7 was deprecated ages ago, never mind something as painfully archaic as v5. The mere fact that none are even 64bit makes it an absolute no-go, period.

And use some ransom hack or buy an equally old machine just for this? Seriously? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Bottom line: if we are actually talking FC v5 then just plain forget it. While there is a path to Final Cut v10.x it's ridiculously convoluted and would entail various app purchases (starting with FC 10!) to get it to even work. Hardly with the effort. Take your footage and re-edit. Done.
Again thanks RSK, You just reconfirmed what I have been beginning to realize I might have to do. So my best bet is to purchase the most recent FCP, install it on my MacBook Pro laptop - Mac OS with High Sierra 10.13.6 (Can I even do that or do I need to purchase a new MacBook Pro notebook? The laptop is old too and cannot be updated). Once the FCP is installed then I just take the old footage and log it and edit it again? Is that correct? Thanks for taking the time to educate an old luddite. I truly feel so ancient now. I am retired now and thought I should take a stab at re-editing an old project to see if the work can be salvaged and obviously my life took a different direction after we finished this project and I never got back to it until now. Thanks again for any and all assistance. kimki

KBK1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
Well, High Sierra is osx 10.13.x, 10.5.x is Leopard. There is a 11 years time difference.
I doubt FCP 5 will run on High Sierra as FCP 7 was already not supported anymore.
There is one way to get FCP 7 running under High Sierra with the app named Retroactive.
Or if you have access to FCPX convert your project to FCPX and finish in the newer software.
Alternatively you could find a cheap 3,1 Mac Pro and you can run all old systems from Tiger to El Capitan on one machine. On that system you can run FCP 4.5, 5, 6, 7 and FCPX up to version 10.3 depending on the osx version.
Thanks Chucks4me. Really appreciate your assistance. One stupid question. If I buy FCPX how do I convert my project to FCPX. (I am seriously embarrassed to be asking these questions and for allowing my knowledge of FCP to fall by tha wayside. Pushing 70 and it shows!

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
You cannot buy FCPX.....
Apple only sell the latest version in the App Store, which requires Mac OS 13.5 (Ventura).

Reactions: KBK1

KBK1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
You cannot buy FCPX.....
Apple only sell the latest version in the App Store, which requires Mac OS 13.5 (Ventura).
Thank you MarkC426 for your info and quick response much appreciated. Looks like it is time to buy a new MacBook Pro…. and FCPX. ****.

Reactions: MarkC426

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I used the legacy version of Final Cut Pro from almost the beginning up through version 6.06. It got more and more difficult to migrate this to each new version of MacOS. Trying to remember, but I think I upgraded from version 5 to 6 because there were a lot of new features. When version 7 came along (the last one) there weren't many changes and I didn't upgrade (it was very expensive back then).

I stuck with version 6 for many years and finally stopped at (low) Sierra around 2016. IIRC, the problem was that, while FCP itself was a universal app, the INSTALLER was not and needed the Classic environment to run. Sorry, has been a long time, but the bottom line was you could move an existing installation to a new Mac with the Migration Assistant but couldn't install from the original disks. Back then, there was discussion of extracting files from the disks, etc. but that was complicated and not sure if it worked. But even if you were able to install, the problem was that it crashed a lot on newer operating systems, which was just frustrating.

But this was FCP 6 and 7, FCP 5 would no doubt be even more complicated. I made the transition to the new Final Cut Pro on Catalina. It is a COMPLETELY different program from the original Final Cut Pro. Seriously, the name is the only thing it has in common. I got used to it and like it very much now, but it took awhile to get up to speed. If you do switch to the new version, be prepared to start from scratch.

There is also no compatibility with old Final Cut Pro projects - you cannot import them. Somebody made an app to help with this, and it does, but not much. It is basically like starting all over with an old project. I still have my old 2013 MacBook Air with FCP 6 for the times I need an old project - which is hardly ever these days. :)

Reactions: MarkC426 and KBK1

KBK1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
I used the legacy version of Final Cut Pro from almost the beginning up through version 6.06. It got more and more difficult to migrate this to each new version of MacOS. Trying to remember, but I think I upgraded from version 5 to 6 because there were a lot of new features. When version 7 came along (the last one) there weren't many changes and I didn't upgrade (it was very expensive back then).

I stuck with version 6 for many years and finally stopped at (low) Sierra around 2016. IIRC, the problem was that, while FCP itself was a universal app, the INSTALLER was not and needed the Classic environment to run. Sorry, has been a long time, but the bottom line was you could move an existing installation to a new Mac with the Migration Assistant but couldn't install from the original disks. Back then, there was discussion of extracting files from the disks, etc. but that was complicated and not sure if it worked. But even if you were able to install, the problem was that it crashed a lot on newer operating systems, which was just frustrating.

But this was FCP 6 and 7, FCP 5 would no doubt be even more complicated. I made the transition to the new Final Cut Pro on Catalina. It is a COMPLETELY different program from the original Final Cut Pro. Seriously, the name is the only thing it has in common. I got used to it and like it very much now, but it took awhile to get up to speed. If you do switch to the new version, be prepared to start from scratch.

There is also no compatibility with old Final Cut Pro projects - you cannot import them. Somebody made an app to help with this, and it does, but not much. It is basically like starting all over with an old project. I still have my old 2013 MacBook Air with FCP 6 for the times I need an old project - which is hardly ever these days. :)
Boyd01, Thank you soooo much for your detailed reply. Thanks for taking the time and having patience with my obsolescence. 😄👍

Reactions: Boyd01

KBK1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2023

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Once the FCP is installed then I just take the old footage and log it and edit it again? Is that correct?
That's not the only possibility, no, as I alluded to previously.

The only way you'll be able to at least get the basic hard cut over (meaning everything but any transitions beyond the absolute basics [e.g. dissolves] or titles, effects etc.) without having to cut everything from scratch, is to export an XML (XMEML) from your old system of the edit. That you then run through "SendToX" to translate it to the current version of XML (FCPXML) which you then can open with FCP v10.

BUT I'm not actually sure that it can translate an XML that is that old. The app's description only mentions FC 6 & 7, so you may well be SOL. In which case you are in fact reduced to manually re-editing the project, yes, since there is no other path from A to B. Unless Davinci Resolve actually understands XML that old, but I doubt it. I don't have one to test.

If you are able to export said XML from v5 you can post it here and I can test both for you.

You can try to use the free trial version of FC which is 100% functional for 90 days. But if you can't even get that installed then you're looking at a new hardware purchase. In which case just get the most basic Mac Mini! Even that will be a complete quantum leap in performance to what you have now and starts at $600.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
you then run through "SendToX" to translate it to the current version of XML (FCPXML) which you then can open with FCP v10.

I believe I used an app called 7toX when I tried to migrate some projects (about 8 years ago) - apparently it's the same thing? The app may have been improved since then, but ultimately I didn't find it very useful. While it did get the clips on a timeline, that was far from my original project. See "what doesn't get translated" here. Would have been too much work to re-do all my color correction, custom transitions, etc. So, I just wrapped up all my old projects using Final Cut Pro 6, exported them as finished videos and made the switch to Final Cut Pro X for all new projects.

I also don't know whether Final Cut Pro 5 will be compatible with SendToX. As I posted earlier, my recollection is that Apple made a lot of changes from FCP 5 to FCP 6.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
apparently it's the same thing?
Yes. The "Also known as SendToX in the Mac App Store" is kind of a giveaway. It was simply renamed to reflect the fact that the vast majority of people don't need it for FC 7 projects anymore. That would be nuts. Most need it to translate from Premiere Pro to FC at this point since Adobe refuses to support the now 12+ year old FCPMXL, but rather stick with the far inferior XMEML of yesteryesteryear. Gee, wonder why?? 🤔

The app may have been improved since then, but ultimately I didn't find it very useful.
Er… which app do you know of that hasn't been improved over an 8-year period? 😒

It is by far the best and cleanest way of getting XMEML into FC v10+, bar none. The fact that certain things are impossible to translate is hardly the fault of the app, it's a limitation of XML and the vast differences between the FC versions beyond just a hard cut. Greg of Intelligent Assistance is an absolute XML master guru. If he can't do it, it simply can't be done, period. And the things that don't make it over are meticulously marked in the timeline with an appropriate explanation.

Try comparing it to what garbage Resolve will give you when trying the same.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Er… which app do you know of that hasn't been improved over an 8-year period? 😒

Perhaps an app where the author would be nuts to improve compatibility with software that nobody uses anymore? :)

the vast majority of people don't need it for FC 7 projects anymore. That would be nuts.

Look, I think you took my post(s) the wrong way. I'm sure SendToX is a great app for the reasons you have stated. And I also think it's very unfortunate that Apple themselves didn't provide a seamless way to import your old projects. But I guess it's no different from AppleWorks/ClarisWorks documents that can't be imported into Pages, etc (LibreOffice does that). So I certainly salute the author for making a best effort, and making the limitations known.

I just stated a fact, that "I did not find it useful" for the type of things I was working on. So, I wrapped them all up using FCP 6 and moved on. Now, we don't even know if FCP 5 will be compatible at all - and it was very nice of you to offer to help the OP with that. Assuming it is compatible, then they'll have to decide whether it's a good fit for their own work.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Perhaps an app where the author would be nuts to improve compatibility with software that nobody uses anymore?
I guess you missed the part about Premiere Pro. 😏

Also the reason why "Xto7" was changed to "XtoCC" btw.

I also think it's very unfortunate that Apple themselves didn't provide a seamless way to import your old projects.
I think it was the BEST possible move (which goes for EDL, AAF, and all those other nonsensical legacy exchange formats, too). Because if they had included it in FC then you would have had to wait the regular 3-6 month update cycle for any bug fixes. And bugs are a given in the beginning stages of any app. This way you got fixes and improvements within just days if not a week or two. And if it's a specialty function you actually need(ed), which the vast majority did not after the first year or two, I hardly think it's asking too much to have to spend a few measly bucks for it, considering what others are asking for far WORSE software. Monthly. So…

I just stated a fact, that "I did not find it useful" for the type of things I was working on.
Not sure how that works out. Because either you needed to get your old projects over or you didn't. And in the former case it was literally the only thing it was and is useful for, but whatever. 🤷🏼‍♂️

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
How does that solve his issue in any way?
Final Cut Pro 10.4.6 trial for High Sierra
https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/Final_Cut_Pro_X/041-31543-20190327-3F404204-9E56-4D0B-BBEF-94E8568884B5/FinalCutProTrial10.4.6.dmg

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Again: that allows him to move his FC v5 to FC v10 how?

BTW:
You cannot buy FCPX.....
Not true. He could use a newer i.e. compatible machine to buy FC with his Apple ID, then go back to his older machine and download it with said Apple ID and would be offered the most recent version compatible with his machine.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Again: that allows him to move his FC v5 to FC v10 how?
You’ve said
You can try to use the free trial version of FC which is 100% functional for 90 days. But if you can't even get that installed then you're looking at a new hardware purchase
I mentioned the Final Cut Pro versions that should work on High Sierra and provided the links for the free trial DMGs.
@KBK1 can download Final Cut Pro 10.4.6, install it on High Sierra and try to import the project.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
download Final Cut Pro 10.4.6, install it on High Sierra and try to import the project

You can not just import a v5 project into v10, period. No matter what version you have. That's the point. The point I made in the exact same post from which you took that quote entirely out of context since using the trial version would be AFTER a long list of other things. Maybe re-read.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
You can not just import a v5 project into v10, period. No matter what version you have. That's the point. The point I made in the exact same post from which you took that quote entirely out of context since using the trial version would be AFTER a long list of other things. Maybe re-read.
You linked a version that definitely doesn’t run on High Sierra and suggested buying a new Mac.
I provided Final Cut Pro versions that run on High Sierra, the OS that is in the title of the thread.
If importing does indeed fail, then KBK1 can just use the 90 days trial to re-edit the project on the MacBook Pro with High Sierra. No need to buy a new Mac or Final Cut Pro.

FCPXML Reference
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/professional_video_applications/fcpxml_reference

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.