Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YonTom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
I just bought a Magic Keyboard and trackpad almost two weeks ago. However, I am kind of regretting it just because they might be updated to USB-C at the "Scary fast" event. If there are new iMacs, the keyboard and trackpad/mouse that comes with it will most likely be updated to USB-C (we have seen leaks of braided USB-C cables of different colors that probably belong to new iMacss) and I would assume that the standalone keyboards and trackpads/mice also will. Do you guys suggest I return them? If I wait until the event it's going to be too late. To be honest, having a thunderbolt keyboard and trackpad is not a dealbreaker as I don't move those around and I can always have a thunderbolt charger in my desk drawer, but I would prefer having a USB-C version nonetheless.

goodthymes

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
I would suggest you return them, especially if your use case have any cursor lag/delay - it's not a software fix and Apple has never been able to address this. It's possible that if they release a new hardware version it will address this issue that plague so many users. You can always rebuy after the event if nothing is released otherwise you're stuck with hardware that doesn't have the exact features you want.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I just bought a Magic Keyboard and trackpad almost two weeks ago. However, I am kind of regretting it just because they might be updated to USB-C at the "Scary fast" event. If there are new iMacs, the keyboard and trackpad/mouse that comes with it will most likely be updated to USB-C (we have seen leaks of braided USB-C cables of different colors that probably belong to new iMacss) and I would assume that the standalone keyboards and trackpads/mice also will. Do you guys suggest I return them? If I wait until the event it's going to be too late. To be honest, having a thunderbolt keyboard and trackpad is not a dealbreaker as I don't move those around and I can always have a thunderbolt charger in my desk drawer, but I would prefer having a USB-C version nonetheless.
My personal prediction is that they will be updated. Not sure about any other design or internal changes, but I'm pretty certain the connectors will be USB-C. I do not predict any new products from Apple with the Lightning connector.

Reactions: chabig

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I bought a Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad last month and they both came with (USB C to Lightning) braided cords. Pretty nice touch.

It used to throw me into turmoil when I bought new tech around the same time as product upgrades and refreshes. Nowadays I ask myself the question: what will this new tech enable me to do that I can't do with my current tech? For me, it's about what the tech enables, not what the tech is.

If a USB C keyboard etc. enables you to do things your Lightning accessories can't, then swap. There's value in port and cable consistency; only you know if it's worth the hassle in the meantime if there are upgrades.

Just my thoughts. Enjoy your new keyboard and trackpad whatever you decide to do. I love mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: magic_mouse_max

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Like many I was disappointed that the new iMac didn’t come with updated keyboards, trackpads, and mice. Does anyone have any predictions as to when these accessories will be updated to USB-C? I have a set that’s a few generations old and the keyboard is starting to flake out sometimes, having issues with staying connected and the battery dying sooner than it should. I’ve been wanting to upgrade but wouldn’t mind waiting for a USB-C version as these are the last lightning devices in my house. I know nobody knows for sure but I’m interested in what you all think might happen.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I'm in for a new Magic Mouse. Still use a (rechargeable) battery one, but it's getting old.
Same, I hope these get updated with the other announcements coming this month. I have a keyboard I’ve been needing to replace for a little while but would rather just have a USBC one, if it’s coming.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Same, I hope these get updated with the other announcements coming this month. I have a keyboard I’ve been needing to replace for a little while but would rather just have a USBC one, if it’s coming.
I'm personally amazed that they didn't get introduced with the new iMacs and such, so I can only assume Apple has a huge stockpile of Lightning components for their keyboards that they're working their way through before they announce new USB-C peripherals. Otherwise, it just doesn't make any sense (at least to us unwashed public masses) as to why they're waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.