Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Saw a couple videos where people that have the graphite phone say the MagSafe charger actually leaves a permanent ring on the back of the phone it's self?

Is this true?

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I’ve been using the MagSafe charger and the MagSafe wallet on an Apple saddle brown leather case, and so far I do not see anything UNTIL I angle it a certain way in the light.

But you know what that means? I’d have to move my phone upside down and not have my wallet case on. So if you’re having to go ‘that’ far to do something, then I’d agree with someone looking elsewhere for cases and charging solutions.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I’ve been using the MagSafe charger and the MagSafe wallet on an Apple saddle brown leather case, and so far I do not see anything UNTIL I angle it a certain way in the light.

But you know what that means? I’d have to move my phone upside down and not have my wallet case on. So if you’re having to go ‘that’ far to do something, then I’d agree with someone looking elsewhere for cases and charging solutions.
So, there are permanent marks on the back of the phone that don't wipe off?

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I havn't really tried without a case, does on the apple leather and OB symmetry. OB wipes off with water, Apple leather is permanent.

Link the video?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I only tried MagSafe directly on my iPhone 12 mini itself a couple of times. The last time I did so, I noticed a ring but I was able to wipe it off with a little bit of effort. I am not entirely sure what the ring consisted of. I haven’t tried to chance it again and when I charge the mini, I use the lightning port. I also have a 12 Pro Max that I have in a Casekoo clear plastic case and I use the MagSafe Charger on it. I don’t see any rings yet.

Coolio1234

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2017
I’ve been using the MagSafe on my silver 12 PM from launch, have no marks on the the phone. I am using the phone without a case.
I’ve seen some MagSafe holders on Amazon that may mitigate this.. haven’t tried them yet

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I havn't really tried without a case, does on the apple leather and OB symmetry. OB wipes off with water, Apple leather is permanent.

Link the video?
I've seen several but here is the latest one:

About 6:12 into the video.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I've seen several but here is the latest one:

About 6:12 into the video.

Wow that is quite bad... wonder if this guy charges the phone without the case causing the ring on the phone itself... I just can’t see how else a ring on the phone would be made... strange?!?

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I suppose technically there is, but they’re only distinguishable at a certain angle with light pointed at them. This personally doesn’t bother me on a leather case since it’s going to darken, show marks from general handling, and even a scratch here or two. If these things bother someone, I do think the silicone, clear, or even going naked is better then.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Update this to my 12 pro max I’ve had since launch(2+ years). Permanent mark on phone after this time(I don’t use cases). Doesn’t rub out. Not sure if trading in will work this year is my only worry now. i only use MagSafe stuff. Rarely plug in

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I left mine on my MagSafe charger without a case last night and now I have a permanent imprint on it. Really disappointed because this is a brand new phone.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I left mine on my MagSafe charger without a case last night and now I have a permanent imprint on it. Really disappointed because this is a brand new phone.
It shouldn’t be permanent right away. Took a while for it to happen to mine. Im not too worried about it unless my trade it for it this year wont work because they consider it damage. But I doubt its considered damage.

still can’t find anymore info on trade ins with this imprint on The phone since it’s not done from neglect.

JoeG_LTE

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2024
Update this to my 12 pro max I’ve had since launch(2+ years). Permanent mark on phone after this time(I don’t use cases). Doesn’t rub out. Not sure if trading in will work this year is my only worry now. i only use MagSafe stuff. Rarely plug in
Could you post pictures of what it looks like?

KevinCyrus

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2024
I've been using magsafe powerbank with my purple iphone 14 pro max, it do have some mark on the phone i guess cuz i am using it without case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.