Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Microsoft cancel the Surface?

• Yes - 12 months or less

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Yes - 24 months or less

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • If this was a Google product, it would've been cancelled already.

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • No but [see comments]

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • No.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Other (see comments)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 12, 2023
Which ultimately seems to be of their own making... they have made some very questionable decisions for what is meant to be a premium 'halo product' line, and which is priced to match. Ergo extending down into entry level devices with the Go products is bizarre, and they're just bad computers as a result (pentium processors, eMMC storage, low pixel density displays, cheap plastic body parts). Replacing the unique Surface book with the banal Surface studio laptop was also a bizarre decision, and put it more directly in competition with 360 convertibles which other companies are already doing better. Leaving premium devices languishing with years-old chips and low storage and memory options is also unlikely to ingratiate Surface to customers, I just don't know exactly what they're thinking behind the scenes. As with Windows Phone, rather than putting the sustained effort in to make something a success, Microsoft seem to throw a massive tantrum and cut funding/resources off if it's not an automatic massive hit with minimal effort.
This. Tantrum is the nadella way.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Which ultimately seems to be of their own making.
Agreed, they only have only themselves to blame

they have made some very questionable decisions for what is meant to be a premium 'halo product' line, and which is priced to match
I've long complained the mentality of releasing new (premium) products using 1 or 2 generation old components.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Agreed, they only have only themselves to blame

I've long complained the mentality of releasing new (premium) products using 1 or 2 generation old components.

Agree.

The Surface is good but not $1000+ good yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.