Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Am thinking of getting a mini 6 but really want it in silver, what are the chances of silver being launched at a later date?

If not I will have to go space grey as the starlight is awful ?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Your guess is as good as mine but if the past is any indication, iPad colours don’t tend to change during the model’s lifespan.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I’d put higher odds on a Product Red than anything else.

That said, the release of the next Air will be interesting, if they release a Silver at that point rather than Starlight then it must be that it hasn’t sold as well as they were expecting. Maybe the Mini at that point gets new capacities to match whatever the Air gets (as everything bar the Pro is now 64/256) along with them simplifying down to the most popular colours from the two lines.

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
I usually get Silver, went space grey instead of Starlight, saw Starlight in person - wish I had got Starlight

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I usually get Silver, went space grey instead of Starlight, saw Starlight in person - wish I had got Starlight
Just to me the starlight looks more like champagne which is don’t like… is that how it looks in person?

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Just to me the starlight looks more like champagne which is don’t like… is that how it looks in person?
It’s basically Silver, in some light I guess you could see a slight tinge but it just looked silver to me

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Based on the past evolutions of Minis, my guess would be NO. Silver also had white bezels. There's none with that option now. I doubt Apple will bring those back for this generation.

I'm also a long-term Silver iPad Mini buyer. I went Starlight for 6 but then immediately put it in a shockproof case which- effectively hides the entire back from view. So for all I know, Starlight could have fallen off and it is pink with lime green stripes now. But the front- the visible part in case- is the opposite of what I was long-term accustomed to seeing.

I know colors matter to many but if you (protective) case it, many cases hide the entire back except camera hole. I probably won't see the back again until this case wears out. If this case is like past ones, that's maybe 2 years from now.

Reactions: LibbyLA

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I usually like Silver also, but Starlight was too light a silver with some gold tone, Purple looks closer to silver even with its violet coloring in darker lighting. Space Grey is too dark. Purple won out. :cool:

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 3.28.30 PM.png

Reactions: iHeartsteve

braxfan

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2015
I have Starlight in certain lights it will look more silver than in bright lights it's the champagne color I guess it's a optical illusion we see what we want to see

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Probably not. To me iPad and iPhone color isn’t as big a deal now that they all have black bezels since many people put them in some sort of case anyway. Starlight replacing Silver in the Apple Watch is a much bigger ”issue” for those of us not fond of the color.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
They all colour change depending on how the light hits them but the Starlight and Pink weren't as dark in person as in that picture. I saw more of the gold of the iPad 6/7/8/Mini 5 in the pink than I did pink, Starlight was more akin to the iPhone 5s gold although it was a tad lighter than that.

Space Grey is darker than usual and would satisfy Slate buyers from the original Mini more than fans of Space Grey, IMO. Definitely not as nice as the slate though. I went purple although if they had actually produced slate it would have been a tough choice.

Last edited:

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Starlight is basically silver but nicer, imo. Just looks a bit less basic, but is still essentially a white-ish silver - it's not the champagne or gold-tinted look that a lot of the marketing pictures seem to show. I've got the iPad mini 6 and iPhone 13 mini both in starlight and I love the look of both. Was always a Space Grey kinda guy until now cos I didn't really like the look of either the old-style silver or gold, but the combination of both into Starlight works for me. Each to his own.

Reactions: davidako

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Starlight is the best silver. The old silver reminds me of the original iPhone color and makes devices feel instantly dated.

It’s probably going too far to say Starlight is HDR Silver, but anyway it’s way more modern.

randomthoughts

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2020

I wanted a silver Series 7 and was bothered that Starlight was the only neutral aluminum version. Once I got it, it was fine. It‘s extremely subtle and usually looks like silver unless in a certain light. All the promo images are probably trying to emphasize it more than it really is, similar to how the new watch face for Series 7 isn’t as noticeable from an angle.

tpfang56

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
As someone who was initially quite disappointed by the lack of silver, I ended up warming up (no pun intended) to starlight. I even switched my mini from the purple I pre-ordered—favorite color but found it a little too muted on the mini—to starlight at the apple store before I returned it. It's not as good and clean as the standard silver, but it's not bad either and it looked really good with the dark cherry case. Imo, it's neutral enough to work with all case colors, including third party, which cannot be said for purple, pink, or space grey. So, if case matching is important, then starlight is the way to go hands down.

Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.