Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fynearts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Brand new machine with Mojave 10.14.4 . iMac. For a month now I cannot fix the following problems which is holding up my workflow.

1. keyboard and mouse lose connection and nothing wakes them up again - its occasional. I have read that removing the Android transfer app may fix it - so fingers crossed.
2. machine does not connect to external BENQ monitor. the monitor is fine, works with laptop. I purchased a thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to thunderbolt2 adaptor. I have read across the internet of many experiencing a similar problem. when I switch the monitor on it says 'HDMI No cable connected'. Not sure which setting to have the monitor on so I tried DVI which says 'no signal detected'.
3. my NEW machine will not recognise my scanner - though the printer part is fine. I downloaded Vue scan but its not recognised either.

I see similar problems with Mojave being talked about online - will Apple do something?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Brand new machine with Mojave 10.14.4 . iMac. For a month now I cannot fix the following problems which is holding up my workflow.

1. keyboard and mouse lose connection and nothing wakes them up again - its occasional. I have read that removing the Android transfer app may fix it - so fingers crossed.
2. machine does not connect to external BENQ monitor. the monitor is fine, works with laptop. I purchased a thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to thunderbolt2 adaptor. I have read across the internet of many experiencing a similar problem. when I switch the monitor on it says 'HDMI No cable connected'. Not sure which setting to have the monitor on so I tried DVI which says 'no signal detected'.
3. my NEW machine will not recognise my scanner - though the printer part is fine. I downloaded Vue scan but its not recognised either.

I see similar problems with Mojave being talked about online - will Apple do something?
1. The BT issue could be something local to you interfering. I have no BT issues with mine. Try moving any other routers or speakers a bit further away.

2. So your BenQ monitor is using which connection at the monitor end? I'm assuming Display port? Could be your adapter. I bought a USB c to display port cable to eliminate any adapter.

3. This is because your scanner manufacturer needs to update there drivers. Check to see if they have a newer driver on their website.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Well, you have lot more patience than I would have. My brand new machine with these problems would have already visited Apple store weeks ago ;-)

That said, do not expect Mojave to be "fixed" for your problems. It needs to be fixed for real Mojave problems for sure. But these are NOT Mojave problems.

KB/mouse - sounds like BT issues. It may be interference - my house BT had interference and on some devices BT devices did not work right. Including high end MBP. Until I accidentally powered down heating/cooling system for maintenance - and all was well! Needed to shield electrical motor there. It can be anything which produces microwaves or has electrical motors. If that is not the case, it may be BT card in your brand new computer. Apple should evaluate and test it.

Monitors connections are still hit-or-miss. Dongles (adaptors) are even more hit-and-miss. Many do not work right and fail early. I have few which do not work anymore. I have best experience with direct cable convertors (USB-C/TB3 - DisplayPort is mine and works). But I am sure those can fail also. You may need to test and evaluate - or buy expensive stuff from Apple, which they hopefully tested. I have Apple dongle which failed on me after ~6 months of use, so do not expect too much either.

Scanner is obviously scanner manufacturer problem. You need driver from them and Apple will not help you, they cannot. You need to be careful which scanner you are buying, if it has drivers for OSX. Many manufacturers ignore OSX altogether.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
You need to be specific as to which BenQ monitor model you have and which scanner (manufacturer, model) you have. I suspect you got the wrong cable/adapter for the monitor and as the other 2 posters have suggested, you probably need to update your scanner drivers. If you also specify what computer and OS version you were using before, that would help as well.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
You purchased the wrong cable for the monitor, thunderbolt 3 to 2 cable can’t passthru DisplayPort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.