Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
So I'm toying with the notion of picking up some kind of streaming device for my TV and I know currently, an ATV3 is kind of limited without a jailbreak solution.

However the impending arrival of Mountain Lion, will allow AirPlay of your desktop to any iOS device such as an ATV3.

Since this essentially is mirroring what I have on a desktop, would one need an ATV 3 jailbreak to access everything one can currently get via an ATV2?

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
In some eyes it may still have some reason to be jailbroken; however, I've had my 2nd gen jailbroken for about a week and hardly ever used the "features". Non jailbroken, the Apple way, is best for me.

Mountain Lion desktop mirroring is going to be amazing. Websites like cbc.ca/sports streaming live playoff hockey is going to be bookmarked asap.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
So I'm toying with the notion of picking up some kind of streaming device for my TV and I know currently, an ATV3 is kind of limited without a jailbreak solution.

However the impending arrival of Mountain Lion, will allow AirPlay of your desktop to any iOS device such as an ATV3.

Since this essentially is mirroring what I have on a desktop, would one need an ATV 3 jailbreak to access everything one can currently get via an ATV2?

yes and no, the inconvenience for some with be using the mac as the controller where a jailbroken ATV you don't even need the mac in the same room

kilj0y

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
Unless it allows for hulu plus natively then no. Plus it is easier to travel with an ATV then lugging my ATV and iMac around.

user5000

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
atv3 jailbreak work around

until mountain lion comes out i have been using Air Parrot. seems pretty solid with use of vlc remote turns atv3 into what it should be!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
You'll also need a very recently released Mac for AirPlay from Mac > aTV to work.

My 2010 MacBook Air 13 doesn't work.
My 2009 MacBook Pro 15 doesn't work.
My 2009 iMac i5 27" doesn't work.
My 2011 iMac works.

These other devices don't work but any of my iPhones or iPads work flawlessly.

I do have my aTV2 jailbroken to use Plex.
I have many video files that are still in mkv or avi formats and they play great over Plex on aTV.

aTV3 still yet to have a good jailbreak.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
yes and no, the inconvenience for some with be using the mac as the controller where a jailbroken ATV you don't even need the mac in the same room

Why would you need your mac in the same room as the Apple TV? just get another keyboard to control it.

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
This is an interesting point. You are correct in that MOST/SOME items on the apple tv require a computer/server running itunes to be always on therefore i will assume that MOST people with an apple tv already have some type of computer/server in place. Also, you can assume that 95% of people who need to jailbreak their atv2/3's are doing so in order to add something like plex/xbmc/firecore in order to watch their "downloaded/ripped legally" movies and tv shows. so yes, for the most part, the airplay possibility in ML will remove a huge need to jailbreak any apple tv. Of course there is the convenience argument if your computer is 3 floors away from your tv. Very good point indeed though.

i get around this issue like some have mentioned - using third party airplay enabled software. i use airvideo on my ipad. its not as clean cut as it could be by having the interface and all pretty fanart/posters on the atv itself, but it works just the same. i actually have an atv2 on my main tv and use the atv3 on the projector for special movie occasions so not having xbmc on the atv right now isnt a killer for me but one day would like the 1080p for the 1080p tv.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
No....I want to be able to stream directly from my NAS, not using my Mac as an intermediary

I'm curious as to how jailbreaking allows you to stream content directly from a NAS.

I will soon be buying a NAS for all my media and would like to stream movies and music to my living room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.