Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
MacBook Pro 2020 Touch Bar.
iPad Mini 6

Both use USB C will my MacBook Pro power adaptor charge my mini 6 or is it a bad idea to plug it into it? Thanks…

Reactions: Alex Cai

Scarboose

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
It is totally fine to use it every now and then, but overpowered adapters can cause damage to your mini's battery if used a lot. I like to use my computers as power adapters for charging my phone/tablet instead - less wear on the battery that way.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
It is totally fine to use it every now and then, but overpowered adapters can cause damage to your mini's battery if used a lot. I like to use my computers as power adapters for charging my phone/tablet instead - less wear on the battery that way.
It was my understanding that the iPad will only take the power it needs, it should not have an affect on battery health. This is why fast charging does not generally charge the device to 100%

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
It was my understanding that the iPad will only take the power it needs, it should not have an affect on battery health. This is why fast charging does not generally charge the device to 100%
I think I am gonna call Apple. My devices are under warranty but if apple gives me the wrong advice and it damages either my MacBook or Mini I will get a new unit.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

The iPad mini only pulls 20W max anyway (same as the included charger) regardless of what charger it's connected to.

Now the iPad Pro 11 and 12.9 can pull more than the stock 20W charger. I've seen the 12.9 drawing close to 40W from the wall at times.

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
MacBook Pro 2020 Touch Bar.
iPad Mini 6

Both use USB C will my MacBook Pro power adaptor charge my mini 6 or is it a bad idea to plug it into it? Thanks…

Apple say it's fine to charge an iPhone with a Mac adapter : the same applies to iPad.

" You can use any of the adapters listed below to charge your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or iPod. You can also use a Mac USB-C Power Adapter or third-party adapters that comply with applicable safety standards. "

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
It doesn’t matter. At all. The device will take the power it needs. Modern battery optimisation makes this ancient issue moot.
Back in the day I blew out a handheld PC by plugging a Windows laptop adaptor into it. It was costly then to replace. This was many years ago but I never forgot that experience.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Back in the day I blew out a handheld PC by plugging a Windows laptop adaptor into it. It was costly then to replace. This was many years ago but I never forgot that experience.
That was because of fixed voltage, power delivery is different. As others have said there is absolutely zero risk, it will not affect the battery more than any other 20w iPad charger.

Reactions: cateye and sparksd

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
The problem with that adapter and computer is that the adapter just supplied power and didn’t know anything about the device connected to it. So it just sent power to the device it wasn’t meant to handle.

But USB-C power adapters offer different power levels to the device, the device chooses a power level, and then the power adapter only supplies that power level to which the two agreed. This prevents that problem from ever happening, and many USB-C devices work with many power adapters across manufacturers with no issue.

But is USB-C perfect, absolutely not. In fact many cheap electronics aren’t even spec-compliant, and as a result, damage can occur in certain situations. People had to rely on a Google engineer reviewing USB-C cables and adapters to get the right spec compliant cables and adapters for a while. Certification with USB is basically an option, not requirement and as a result people threw cheap parts together and it can cause problems. So it is recommended to use quality chargers and cables, and Apple tends to have good quality chargers at least (cables, eh many complaints on cables to say the least, I personally have Apple cables that yellow, twist and fray, and it’s not so pretty, Apple’s newer braided cables are good though).

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
As long as you use a certified PD charger (brand like anker or belkin would be better), the iPad and the charger agrees on the highest power both of them can handle. Most iPads support PD 30w maximum, but your charger is a PD 75W one, your charger can only charge at 30w because that’s what the iPad agrees on.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I've been charging pretty much everything with a MacBook Pro brick for years with no issues or any discernible effect on battery life. They just provide the power asked for by the charging circuitry in the connected device.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
The iPad mini only pulls 20W max anyway (same as the included charger) regardless of what charger it's connected to.

Now the iPad Pro 11 and 12.9 can pull more than the stock 20W charger. I've seen the 12.9 drawing close to 40W from the wall at times.

25W not 20

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
25W not 20

That 25W must be for a very, very short period.

I often charge my mini 6 with 30+W USB PD chargers connected to TP-Link smart plugs with energy monitoring. Max I’ve seen it was like 21-22W. Honestly, I don’t notice any difference in charging time using a 20W charger or a higher wattage one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.