Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iViking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Given the new GPS capabilities of the new iPhone, does that mean it will work as a GPS unit for geocaching? Forgive my ignorance as I'm new to both the iPhone and the sport of geocaching.

Just trying to kill two birds with one stone when buying an iPhone...

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
Given the new GPS capabilities of the new iPhone, does that mean it will work as a GPS unit for geocaching? Forgive my ignorance as I'm new to both the iPhone and the sport of geocaching.

Just trying to kill two birds with one stone when buying an iPhone...

I have not heard anything about geocaching right now

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
It will work GREAT as a GPS for Geocaching, assuming that someone writes a GPS app for the iPhone.. It would be awesome to get a nice geocaching specific app for the phone.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
Right now, no. No way to enter waypoints/coordinates, etc. It merely shows you where you are on Google Maps.

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
Garmin eTrex $99, fairly rugged little sucker (water/drop/abuse resistant)

iPhone $199/299, fairly delicate thing (NOT water/drop/abuse resistant) out of the box

Geocaching = Can be rugged outdoorsy type thing. Often in parks, woods, damp areas were you really don't want to be carrying something that is 'valuable' eg drops in mud, ant mounds , or get rained on.

But would be nice to have to log your finds get new spots etc while out for the day geocaching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.