Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, your MacPro1,1 is simply too old for the internet recovery. Yes, it certainly supports Lion, but internet recovery is still too new for that model Mac.

What if I take the hard drive and disk over to the Mac mini? do you think it would work in that setting?
If not any other ideas on how to get the operating system on the ssd?
Yes, that would work - Put the SSD in an external 2.5 enclosure. The Mac mini would need to be able to boot to Snow Leopard to install that on the SSD. (Mini would need to be between 2006 and 2009 - MacMini1,1 to 3,1. A 4,1 would be too new to boot from Apple's commercial Snow Leopard installer, and newer minis don't support Snow Leopard at all.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Yes, your MacPro1,1 is simply too old for the internet recovery. Yes, it certainly supports Lion, but internet recovery is still too new for that model Mac.

Yes, that would work - Put the SSD in an external 2.5 enclosure. The Mac mini would need to be able to boot to Snow Leopard to install that on the SSD. (Mini would need to be between 2006 and 2009 - MacMini1,1 to 3,1. A 4,1 would be too new to boot from Apple's commercial Snow Leopard installer, and newer minis don't support Snow Leopard at all.
Thanks for the extra info! I know nothing of older macs :)

Gassyguy84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2021

Well, my brother has a Mac mini alright… just not that old. I did however use his mac to erase the ssd and set it up for the older format. Hopefully that will do something. Not that sure that it will.

I do appreciate you letting me know the information about the older macs though. It does answer the questions I have. I guess the only other questions I have are two. First is there anyway outside of what we just covered to make this work, and do you think it’s foolish being that it is so old?

My reasoning was that if I could get it working, my wife would be more inclined to purchase a new Mac. She is a photographer. She doesn’t want to buy a new Mac because of cost. I just figured that an old Mac would at least show her the capability. This Mac Pro still can run windows 10! The gateway that hard drive came out of is already toasted and it was NEWER.

Meanwhile thank you again for your time. Have a great weekend.

Gassyguy84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2021
This is what it stops at when I try to boot up in either single user mode or Verbose mode. Just in case that makes a difference. Probably not, but can’t blame a guy for being persistent.

Attachments

• 0BC6D311-1070-41B2-BF99-BD658C585ABC.jpeg
    0BC6D311-1070-41B2-BF99-BD658C585ABC.jpeg
    478.2 KB · Views: 99

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You said that you purchased your Snow Leopard installer on eBay.
Your screen shot in post #32 shows that you are booting to "Darwin kernel version 10.7.3", which relates to OS X version 10.6.7.
That means that you purchased an installer DVD that shipped with another Mac (either an early 2011 MacBook Pro, or a mid 2011 iMac ). Your eBay seller perhaps did not know that was a special build, made to support "new" hardware on only those 2011 Macs, and the installer will not install on any other Mac.
That's why you can't get it to boot your Mac Pro. It's completely wrong for your 2006 Mac Pro.

Something to keep in mind if you really want to go with Snow Leopard -- Apple never released a commercial Snow Leopard installer newer than version 10.6.3, which is what you would look for.

If you have no other options, you could purchase an OS X bootable USB installer, example here:

Reactions: Quackers

Gassyguy84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2021
You said that you purchased your Snow Leopard installer on eBay.
Your screen shot in post #32 shows that you are booting to "Darwin kernel version 10.7.3", which relates to OS X version 10.6.7.
That means that you purchased an installer DVD that shipped with another Mac (either an early 2011 MacBook Pro, or a mid 2011 iMac ). Your eBay seller perhaps did not know that was a special build, made to support "new" hardware on only those 2011 Macs, and the installer will not install on any other Mac.
That's why you can't get it to boot your Mac Pro. It's completely wrong for your 2006 Mac Pro.

Something to keep in mind if you really want to go with Snow Leopard -- Apple never released a commercial Snow Leopard installer newer than version 10.6.3, which is what you would look for.

If you have no other options, you could purchase an OS X bootable USB installer, example here:
To be fair a little pride at this point is about what keeps me trying to make this happen. My first mistake was trying to work with Apple.com and purchase the OS Lion from Apple. I don’t know what I was thinking… all I ended up with was the rights to download Lion from the AppStore. No refund, no help getting even this far. Snow leopard is what I figured would be the way to go to then load Lion onto the Mac Pro. Unless you know a way to get Lion off the AppStore using an iPad Pro, that was the only reason why I went on the route I have.

Gassyguy84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2021
I just wish I knew about the version 10.6.3 thing before buying the disk I have…

Gassyguy84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2021
Thank you so very much! It did work just as you described! It also came an entire day earlier!

Attachments

• 2F5BF808-BA11-4AED-B9B4-FCB3B58BB904.jpeg
    2F5BF808-BA11-4AED-B9B4-FCB3B58BB904.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 86
  • 2F5BF808-BA11-4AED-B9B4-FCB3B58BB904.jpeg
    2F5BF808-BA11-4AED-B9B4-FCB3B58BB904.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.