Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEFGAF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2024
NW Pennsylvania
Since acquiring my Mac Pro 5,1 in January, I've noticed that OS Mojave is no longer a choice in OCLP installer feature. In retrospect, I now know that my efforts to upgrade from OS High Seirra (to Ventura) were short sighted. I've learned, after the fact, that drivers in the earlier versions were dropped in later versions, thus affecting some existing software and hardware.

I am guessing that OCLP dropped older OS's as Apple removed them from its website. However, are there any legal or practical reasons that OCLP cannot continue to offer them?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I am guessing that OCLP dropped older OS's as Apple removed them from its website.

You are making wrong assumptions here. Apple still offer old macOS releases for anyone needing it, up to Lion, just follow the link below:

OCLP never supported macOS releases older than Big Sur and is not compatible with Mojave when running with a Mac Pro, since OCLP spoofs a 2019 Mac Pro (which is supported only after 10.15.1 and the model ID is used trick macOS and make newer macOS releases compatible with a MacPro5,1). You can always install and boot native via Apple BootPicker.

Our project's main goal is to breathe new life into Macs no longer supported by Apple, allowing for the installation and usage of macOS Big Sur and newer on machines as old as 2007.

However, are there any legal or practical reasons that OCLP cannot continue to offer them?

OCLP is an Open Source project with limited man power, supporting releases earlier than Big Sur was never intended and was clearly stated in the OCLP GitHub page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jhonjhon236

TEFGAF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2024
NW Pennsylvania
Thanks for the clarification. I used your link to find High Sierra and Mojave. And I now see the spoofing issue when I tried to download High Sierra. I also found the procedure for a bootable USB to start the process, but that only evokes another question: metal gpu's? Let's say I wanted to return to my original OS, High Sierra. Would my current AMD RX580 gpu function or does the installation of the "144" firmware limit me to Mojave?

I recognize these questions can be tedious, but nevertheless, your input is very much appreciated.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for the clarification. I used your link to find High Sierra and Mojave. And I now see the spoofing issue when I tried to download High Sierra. I also found the procedure for a bootable USB to start the process, but that only evokes another question: metal gpu's? Let's say I wanted to return to my original OS, High Sierra. Would my current AMD RX580 gpu function or does the installation of the "144" firmware limit me to Mojave?

I recognize these questions can be tedious, but nevertheless, your input is very much appreciated.

AMD Radeon RX 580 is supported since Sierra 10.12.6 release, albeit only works reliably and with full performance after 10.14.5.

For questions related to macOS versus BootROM, please read the first post of the thread below, no need to re-write it here:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.