Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

87racer

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
Oregon
The question was "Will ML be x64 only?" - the answer is yes. Now is one thing, upon release is another. That's what people are asking about. The release notes specifically state 64bit only.

Thanks for being a jerk. I was correcting people saying it IS 64-bit. That is saying it is NOW 64-bit which it IS not. You are correct in saying the question is "will it be?" The correct answer to the question, which I also answered correctly, "Apple states it WILL BE 64-bit." I just added extra information to my response. Have a nice day.

JuicyJones

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Apple will have to do some big updates prior to this release. Logic Pro 9 natively runs in 32-bit and 64-bit must be manually enabled. Also iWork is only 32-bit. Will we see updates to these prior to the ML release? I really doubt it.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Will we see updates to these prior to the ML release? I really doubt it.
I don' think you can say that one way or another - anyway, I still think you can launch 32 bit apps in a 64 bit operating system - the biggest limitation you will run into is memory allocation.

They might patch Logic to make it always 64 bit - that's not to tough. iWork is already due for an upgrade anyway so there't that. Still about 6 months.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
OS X Mountain Lion requires a Mac with a 64-bit kernel. Mountain Lion supports the following Mac models:
• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)

So the above means any 2.4Ghz 15" model year then? Mine is an early 2008 2.4Ghz.

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
So the above means any 2.4Ghz 15" model year then? Mine is an early 2008 2.4Ghz.

Mine (late '08 MacBook Alu with 2.0 GHz) is supported, according to the sites that released ML System Requirements. Apparently it's more about the graphics adapter.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It's not only the CPU that decides which kernel it boots, you need EFI32 and EFI64 to boot the 32 and 64 bit kernels respectively, the newer macs have EFI64 and therefore can boot a 64bit kernel and load 64bit drivers, Lion still has a 32bit kernel, it seems Mountain Lion will only have a 64bit kernel.

Has nothing to do with EFI. My old UB Macbook from 2008, which can run Mountain Lion, had a 32 bit EFI.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Has nothing to do with EFI. My old UB Macbook from 2008, which can run Mountain Lion, had a 32 bit EFI.

Is it in the supported list? i believe some machines which are not in the supported list can still install ML, it could still be like the first DP of Lion which didn't have 64bit binaries so it could run on Core Duo and Solo machines, they could still remove the 32bit kernel on the next DP.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Is it in the supported list? i believe some machines which are not in the supported list can still install ML, it could still be like the first DP of Lion which didn't have 64bit binaries so it could run on Core Duo and Solo machines, they could still remove the 32bit kernel on the next DP.

Are you saying a 32bit EFI cannot load a 64bit Kernel? Why not?

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Are you saying a 32bit EFI cannot load a 64bit Kernel? Why not?

It's what i understood from wikipedia
UEFI requires the firmware and operating system to be size-matched; i.e. a 64-bit UEFI implementation can only boot a 64-bit UEFI operating system.

The fact that my iMac can also boot 32bit if available i would guess it's because it has both extensions to UEFI and not just the 64bit one.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Can't always trust wikipedia:

See this

Doesn't that say that apple 64bit kernel is part 32bit? it says it starts in 32bit mode and then moves itself to 64bit mode, so what wiki says may still be true.

But in the end the issue still remains, unless apple does something those machines with 32bit UEFI will not boot a 64bit kernel without using chameleon and with no drivers, which is seemingly where ML is headed with no 32bit fallback at all.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Doesn't that say that apple 64bit kernel is part 32bit? it says it starts in 32bit mode and then moves itself to 64bit mode, so what wiki says may still be true.

But in the end the issue still remains, unless apple does something those machines with 32bit UEFI will not boot a 64bit kernel without using chameleon and with no drivers, which is seemingly where ML is headed with no 32bit fallback at all.

Well, Apple has listed the computers that will work in ML, if any of those has 32bit EFI's, if you take Apple's word for it, they will find a way to make them work.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
I said it was. It is. The late-2008 Unibody MacBook 13", with the nVidia 9400 chipset. It's in the supported list. It has 32 bit EFI.

The problem is a lack of 64 bit kext's for Intel graphics and ATI's X1600. It's not EFI.

You said it can run ML not that it was on the supported list, i was just making sure you didn't hack ML to be able to run it.

And besides that one has a 64bit EFI, it is (was perhaps) restricted to 32bit kernel by other means, not the EFI, i had one, i know i made it boot into 64bit kernel as well without using another boot loader.

With Lion or ML does it say if it's in 64bit kernel?

JuicyJones

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
I don' think you can say that one way or another - anyway, I still think you can launch 32 bit apps in a 64 bit operating system - the biggest limitation you will run into is memory allocation.

They might patch Logic to make it always 64 bit - that's not to tough. iWork is already due for an upgrade anyway so there't that. Still about 6 months.

But a lot of the Logic plugins are still running 32 bit. Both iWork and Logic are both due for an update. It seem Apple has almost given up on iWork. It should have been updated before iCloud came out.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You said it can run ML not that it was on the supported list, i was just making sure you didn't hack ML to be able to run it.

Sorry, I thought that someone in this thread discussing EFI related topics would have actually looked at the supported list before commenting and so I didn't spell it out specifically. Noticed I never claimed to have "hacked" it either.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Man... this is going to break the ability to use a Logitech Harmony remote with OS X. The drivers are STILL 32-bit only... as it is now, I have to force 32-bit kernel in Lion just to change my remote settings. Blah!

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Sorry, I thought that someone in this thread discussing EFI related topics would have actually looked at the supported list before commenting and so I didn't spell it out specifically. Noticed I never claimed to have "hacked" it either.

I gave it a look and found all those left out had 32 bit efis, didn't memorize the list. and i wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

Your machine has a 64bit EFI, when SL came out it wasn't allowed to boot the 64bit kernel which is entirely different than being able to.

Can you look and see if it's running a 64bit kernel in Lion or Mountain Lion?

----------

Man... this is going to break the ability to use a Logitech Harmony remote with OS X. The drivers are STILL 32-bit only... as it is now, I have to force 32-bit kernel in Lion just to change my remote settings. Blah!

I have to keep an XP VirtualMachine around to be able to connect to a clients VPN, it's an old cisco pix, the Lion setup doesn't work with it, it never authenticates or something, the latest client i've found doesn't work in 64bit kernel :(

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I gave it a look and found all those left out had 32 bit efis, didn't memorize the list. and i wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

What's the oldest system that will be supported on ML? My late 2007 MBP 3,1 initially came with a 32bit EFI, but in light of this discussion I checked in Terminal and it now runs 64bit EFI, so it wouldn't surprise me if with Lion, or earlier, Apple updated the EFIs for all machines capable. Are there any models/machines older than mine that will support ML? Perhaps the iMac 7,1? Maybe someone can check what EFI that runs since likely anything newer is already on 64bit EFI, so the discussion could be useless.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
What size is the pro? If it is the 13” sorry only 2009 and beyond. 15 and 17” is good though. 2007 is the oldest.

15! Looks like I'll get one more update and then have to ask myself if I'm happy with where the upgrade path ends or if it is time to get a new MB (hopefully a Retina one by then).

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
What's the oldest system that will be supported on ML? My late 2007 MBP 3,1 initially came with a 32bit EFI, but in light of this discussion I checked in Terminal and it now runs 64bit EFI, so it wouldn't surprise me if with Lion, or earlier, Apple updated the EFIs for all machines capable. Are there any models/machines older than mine that will support ML? Perhaps the iMac 7,1? Maybe someone can check what EFI that runs since likely anything newer is already on 64bit EFI, so the discussion could be useless.

Only Apple knows for sure, with the current list its seems to be efi based, in the end... who knows :)

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
15! Looks like I'll get one more update and then have to ask myself if I'm happy with where the upgrade path ends or if it is time to get a new MB (hopefully a Retina one by then).

remember, we cannot extrapolate anything. The only info we have is based on the DP which isn’t set in stone, Even if that is set in stone we have no idea what Apple’s future hardware and software developments are at all. We have no way to know at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.