Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkundi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Hi all, I'm curious to know if having multiple apps on my MacBook Pro which I rarely/or don't use could potentially decrease the performance of my Mac? For example: I use the Adobe suits (Photoshop/Lightroom mostly), there are numerous apps I don't use but come with the subscription which I've installed.

Thanks
Jas

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What slows down the Mac is filling the SSD storage space up such that proper file swapping and garbage maintenance can’t be performed like it should.

If you have plenty of SSD space available on your drive, you shouldn’t see any slow down, especially if you aren’t actively accessing programs and files that you have been storing on the Mac.

The rule of thumb with SSD is to keep at least 20% of the drive space free for optimal drive health and Mac performance.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hi all, I'm curious to know if having multiple apps on my MacBook Pro which I rarely/or don't use could potentially decrease the performance of my Mac? For example: I use the Adobe suits (Photoshop/Lightroom mostly), there are numerous apps I don't use but come with the subscription which I've installed.

Thanks
Jas

The real issue is how many are started when you log in. As long as you have enough free disk space (I personally feel that 40GB should be ample) then the number of installed Apps in and of itself, should be a problem.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Additional apps won't slow it down, so long as you don't open them until you NEED them.
For best performance, just keep open what you need to be using at the moment.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
The only thing I've found slows down my Mac even if I don't use it is Adobe Creative Cloud. There is always some crappy piece of it sucking away CPU cycles, even if none of the apps are running. It even launches itself at startup on secondary user accounts. Looking through their user forums, seems like a problem for a lot of people on Mac and PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.