Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drosera

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2020
Hi everyone

I'm considering upgrading my first gen iPhone SE to an iPhone 12 mini. Quite the exciting jump in spec!

I've found a great package with unlimited data that works out at £687 over two years. Just wondering if I should wait until the iPhone 13 series is launched incase better deals come along? Looking to buy this month, before Three changes their roaming charges on 1 October.

Thanks all

Drosera

Drosera

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2020
Apple may discontinue the iPhone 12 series when the 13 series is launched.
What effect would that have on price plans for it?

I mainly just want to know if anyone understands price trends and knows whether prices of old models are lowest just before or after a launch.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
if you wait a week you’ll find out!

In the US usually the carriers will still have the older models available at a discount, even if Apple discontinues the model. For example I got a 256gb X for $650 from Verizon after the XS came out.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I would wait until after the keynote. Many carriers drop the price of the current series in preparation for the new models, even though Apple discontinues the old models.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
We will find out in a few days but I suspect the mini will get discontinued; production was stopped a while back.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Hi everyone

I'm considering upgrading my first gen iPhone SE to an iPhone 12 mini. Quite the exciting jump in spec!

I've found a great package with unlimited data that works out at £687 over two years. Just wondering if I should wait until the iPhone 13 series is launched incase better deals come along? Looking to buy this month, before Three changes their roaming charges on 1 October.

Thanks all

Drosera

If you can gather the funds, Amazon UK are currently selling the 12 Mini 64GB for £579 now, which is £120 off RRP. I can imagine it will drop slightly more after the 13 series are announced. If you do this then you can switch to a SIM only contract and save even more money in the long run, that's what i did anyway.

Drosera

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2020
If you can gather the funds, Amazon UK are currently selling the 12 Mini 64GB for £579 now, which is £120 off RRP. I can imagine it will drop slightly more after the 13 series are announced. If you do this then you can switch to a SIM only contract and save even more money in the long run, that's what i did anyway.

Thanks but a Three sim card with unlimited data is around £20/month = £420. Add that to £579, and you see why the deal I've found is a good one!

Reactions: snipr125

Drosera

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2020
I think I'm going to go for it. It's such a bargain and I doubt it'll drop much further, if at all, following next week's event. I've just given my 30 day notice to cancel my current contract so I can transfer my number to the new contract!

Drosera

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2020
Do I go for a 24 month contract totalling:

1) £687 for any colour 64GB (unlimited data plan) or
2) £783 for blue 128GB (100GB data plan)?

Decisions, decisions...

Drosera

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2020
If you can get by with 64gb, Option 1 is a no brainer.

I've had my SE for 5 years and still only using 37GB, so this is my feeling too.

Just worried about the big jump in photo quality from 1.2MP to 12MP. I have 15K of photos on my device taking up 3GB... hmm!

Also do any particular colours have higher resell prices?

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I've had my SE for 5 years and still only using 37GB, so this is my feeling too.

Just worried about the big jump in photo quality from 1.2MP to 12MP. I have 15K of photos on my device taking up 3GB... hmm!

Also do any particular colours have higher resell prices?
I wouldnt worry about file sizes of the photos on the 12 mini, they are about 3-4 MB in size on average. They get converted to JPEG so are not that big, its the Pro phones that have the larger file sizes when shot in ProRaw etc, even then you can choose to keep the photos in JPEG only.

Hmm not sure about the colours with higher resell prices, i would have thought there is little difference between them To be honest. I personally like the white version with silver frame as it looks like the Iphone 4-5.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
After the keynote, will Apple stores still be selling the iPhone 12 mini? I was hoping to pick up a new iPhone 12 mini, with the usual price reduction Apple implements after a new release. Are they going to do the same thing this time around?

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
After the keynote, will Apple stores still be selling the iPhone 12 mini? I was hoping to pick up a new iPhone 12 mini, with the usual price reduction Apple implements after a new release. Are they going to do the same thing this time around?
Ask Apple ?

We’ll find out after the keynote

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
When i used to be at Apple, oh so long ago now, soon as there was an announcement, everything was EOL and discounted, although most of the stock was returned to warehouse after a couple of days to free up space, so you do have to be quick.

I have no idea how quick Apple are now to implement EOL pricing, so best to check in with them after the keynote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.