Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
So my question is this, will purchased apps from iOS be free on tvOS or will they need to be purchased again? Or maybe only HD purchases (iPad apps) will include an Apple TV version... If I were to guess I would say some apps will and some apps won't. Just like some apps include both iPhone and iPad versions and some require a separate purchase on each. What are people's opinions on this?

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
and tvOS app is not an iOS app, you can't just run an iPhone/iPad app directly on your TV.

it's a completely different interface, Most apps will have to be completely (or at least partially) re-written and re-thought how to interact with it.
i saw a demo of a driving game, which you steer by tilting the remote, just like you steer by your phone. But on the phone, you press the "gas pedal" on the side of your screen, on the TV/ siri remote, you don't have a side of the screen.
it would have to be re-done to integrate the touch surface of the remote.

It will be up to the app developers, in much the same way that some sell universal apps that work on all devices, and some you have to buy twice for both the phone and the iPad.
if Apple allows them to make universal apps that cross the handheld / TV barrier, I can't think of any apps that cross the iOS / Mac app store barrier.

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
But Apple did say in the keynote that you can be playing a game on you iPhone or iPad when you're out and pick up where you left off on your Apple TV when you get home!?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Your probably bang on with your assumption that some will and some won't. Some companies will see it as an opportunity to release a separate version just to cash in.

Personally, I've never been one to try and fleece money from my customers so my next game, that I've been working on for two years on and off, will definitely be a fully universal one if possible. I can't wait to play it on the ATV myself, so it's universal all the way for me, no extra charges.

Reactions: mattoligy

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
So my question is this, will purchased apps from iOS be free on tvOS or will they need to be purchased again? Or maybe only HD purchases (iPad apps) will include an Apple TV version... If I were to guess I would say some apps will and some apps won't. Just like some apps include both iPhone and iPad versions and some require a separate purchase on each. What are people's opinions on this?
It's all up to the individual app developers. Some developers might make it a separate TV version, others will just expand their Universal apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.