Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
Dual boot set up incl. OCLP Sonoma and Monterey (M) is apparently fully updated. When another M update is released - is it likely to show up as an option in System Prefs. along with or replacing the Sonoma option?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yes but I don't think it's recommended to install major updates through System Preferences as it can brick your install. You can always create a fresh installer USB / partition and do a major update using that. Minor updates are usually fine to do through System Preferences and just require the patch to be run again on the desktop afterward.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
Yes but I don't think it's recommended to install major updates through System Preferences as it can brick your install. You can always create a fresh installer USB / partition and do a major update using that. Minor updates are usually fine to do through System Preferences and just require the patch to be run again on the desktop afterward.
So you're confident that even though an OS two generations on shows up in Updates that ordinary updates to Monterey
will appear in due course and you're also stating that updates to the normal supported OS will also need patches to be run; I guess that makes sense in that OCLP has control over some of the basic system which is presumably why Apple has sent an unsupported OS as an upgrade option. For the record I installed OCLP Sonoma via clicking on the update button previously; the USB drive was "locked" and I stumbled upon that option.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
OTA reliability depends on the system. On CMPro 5,1 it has never worked for me. The process for me is:
  • Download the full installer/Install Assistant. I use the MrMacintosh links. Install in /Application in case of the Assistant.
  • Remove the RootPatch using the OCLP app. Due to my updated video and WIFi/BLE card, my system does not have one for Monterey. But it does for Ventura and Sonoma. Reboot,
  • Plug in a USB keyboard/mouse if needed. Install the full new version of macOS.
  • Reboot and update the Root Patch with OCLP. It should be nagging you.
Lately, the latter portion has been an issue on my CMPro with Ventura & Sonoma, most likely due to some driver installed—the login screen crashes. I have yet to try setting auto-login. My approach so far has been to install the installer from another boot (I have Monterey, Ventura, and Sonoma installed) and then do the root patch from SSH from another system as the login screen keeps cycling.

The whole thing is tedious and takes hours since the installation is slow, and I have to do it on three OSs.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
OTA reliability depends on the system. On CMPro 5,1 it has never worked for me. The process for me is:
  • Download the full installer/Install Assistant. I use the MrMacintosh links. Install in /Application in case of the Assistant.
  • Remove the RootPatch using the OCLP app. Due to my updated video and WIFi/BLE card, my system does not have one for Monterey. But it does for Ventura and Sonoma. Reboot,
  • Plug in a USB keyboard/mouse if needed. Install the full new version of macOS.
  • Reboot and update the Root Patch with OCLP. It should be nagging you.
Lately, the latter portion has been an issue on my CMPro with Ventura & Sonoma, most likely due to some driver installed—the login screen crashes. I have yet to try setting auto-login. My approach so far has been to install the installer from another boot (I have Monterey, Ventura, and Sonoma installed) and then do the root patch from SSH from another system as the login screen keeps cycling.

The whole thing is tedious and takes hours since the installation is slow, and I have to do it on three OSs.
Thank you for the detailed response; it would take some time to research the meanings of such terminology as "full installer" i.e. where commonly it seems that there are different terms for the same thing. At this point and in the absence of other advice it looks like I'll take a guess as to when an update has been released and see if there is a way to temporarily disable OCLP (again don't know what that means ie whether uninstalling "it" doesn't leave other elements intact) it and see whether the OTA update appears; logic suggests that it should but it took me about 4 hours to reformat a USB drive so I don't expect anything to be straightforward.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Dual boot set up incl. OCLP Sonoma and Monterey
Are they on different disks? If so they should remain completely separate with their own update processes - as well as distinct booting.

If mixed up on the same disk then you will have a "learning experience" when managing updates for each - this is because OCLP modifies the EFI partition which controls the boot process as well as injecting software and settings into macOS. OCLP is designed to make install easy and booting reliable, but this starts to fall down if you have multiple macOS on same disk.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
Yes both on the SSD; it took me around 11 hours of work plus downloading time to get this far; maybe I haven't looked forensically enough but I've found nothing about having a supported and unsupported OS on the same device - but then it took me about 4 hours to install the first Sonoma update; it took about 3 seconds once I acted irrationally and clicked on the the Patching option. The Dortania instructions were and probably are very clear that this is not required; and "Google Bard" had no idea (maybe it checked the Dortania instructions also).

iMac'd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
Are they on different disks? If so they should remain completely separate with their own update processes - as well as distinct booting.

If mixed up on the same disk then you will have a "learning experience" when managing updates for each - this is because OCLP modifies the EFI partition which controls the boot process as well as injecting software and settings into macOS. OCLP is designed to make install easy and booting reliable, but this starts to fall down if you have multiple macOS on same disk.
"Google Bard" (which seems unaware that OS Ventura has been released) stated that updating the supported OS was as easy as running a short terminal command to disable OCLP and then doing a normal OTA update; since no one else on earth has ever tried this (if internet searches are any guide) then I'll try it (with low - medium expectations).

iMac'd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
"Google Bard" (which seems unaware that OS Ventura has been released) stated that updating the supported OS was as easy as running a short terminal command to disable OCLP and then doing a normal OTA update; since no one else on earth has ever tried this (if internet searches are any guide) then I'll try it (with low - medium expectations).
Update of supported OS worked fairly normally; EFI option appeared briefly and was auto selected.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021

The learning process has commenced; the EFI option (whatever that was) didn't appear on the most recent update and significant oddities have occurred; one question if you get notified about this thread: What do you mean by "different disks"; the obvious meaning is that one or the other would need to be on an external drive; I had hoped that getting the supported OS into it's own Container or Volume would work. I'd completely forgotten about the "disable OCLP via a command line" option after the success (apparently) of the first post OCLP update.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
If anyone finds this and has a similar query the (or an) answer is in the OCLP forum here; essentially it's to hold down the option key when entering the supported OS for an update (normal entry is via the OCLP boot selector); this will apparently reduce if not remove any degrading influence of the OCLP. Haven't tried yet but in using the option key the Upgrade to an unsupported OS is no longer an option so that's a useful hint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.