Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Been with android now since I moved over from a iPhone in 2014. Currently on a note 8 but I'm constantly finding myself looking at the 8+ and wanting to go back for a change.

However, one thing that is making me want to go sooner rather than later is the fact that the 8+ still has a physical home button. I'm not at all wanting to go the gesture based route with the X and my note 8 still has one build in under the screen.

My fear is if I don't get the 8+ now then next year the button may disappear altogether. Thoughts?

california_kid

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
Pure speculation - I think it will be the last unless a low end phone comes out next year similar to what they did with the SE. By low end, I mean the same internals as the 8/8+, but a lower cost package. On the bright side, if you just wait until official product launch, you will have a lot of refurbished/used 8+ available at a good price.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Been with android now since I moved over from a iPhone in 2014. Currently on a note 8 but I'm constantly finding myself looking at the 8+ and wanting to go back for a change.

However, one thing that is making me want to go sooner rather than later is the fact that the 8+ still has a physical home button. I'm not at all wanting to go the gesture based route with the X and my note 8 still has one build in under the screen.

My fear is if I don't get the 8+ now then next year the button may disappear altogether. Thoughts?

I'm Willing to believe that the iPhone 8 will remain in Apples lineup next year, alongside still offering this newly rumored 6.1 LCD, a 5.8/6.5 OLED, all With Face ID.

Reactions: KONVICTED

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
I certainly think so. Apple's known to be hard headed. No way they'd go back on a design choice.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Yes. There's 0% chance they go back in future phones. No I don't work for Apple but common sense tells us so.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think we'll see a SE model release next fall and that will have the home button, and who knows, maybe Apple will roll out an iPhone 9, or 8s as a lower cost alternative to the possible XI next year

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Yes.

Technically, the last to offer a real physical home button and headphone jack is the SE. The 7 and 8 have that fake one.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
If the cost differential between FaceID and TouchID remains, I suppose it would make sense to keep putting out low end phones with TouchID. (I make no claim that FaceID is superior, just more expensive at this time.) However, I doubt that the gap will stay wide for long. Apple will get better at making it cheaper so I would guess TouchID will be phased out eventually. I'm hoping that they will eventually have both, but that's wishful thinking with all indicators saying it is.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Was not too long ago that Apple was proclaiming that Finger ID was the Holy Grail of security!
It actually was not too long ago relative to it's time. Other fingerprint scanners at the time were complete *****. Apple finally did it right. But none of this is really the holy grail. That would be me just thinking I want to unlock my phone and it happens. FaceID is close since it's utilizing what you're already doing anyway, looking at the phone. It's definitely closer to seamless than TouchID. I stand by my feeling that I would like to have options with security, so I wish they had both in the phone.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yes I think the home button will be gone soon. The iPhone X is so great to use that you don’t even miss the home button (at least I haven’t) the gestures feel natural, Face ID is so fast that I was surprised when I first set it up and the OLED screen is just WOW especially when watching HDR content such as DeadPool and Wonder Woman.

Reactions: KONVICTED

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
It really comes down to cost and what Apple can do with the current lineup. It seems likely that they will add a larger, more premium OLED model to the lineup next year, and maintain LCD products in the lower tiers for at least 1 more cycle.

For Apple to do new models at $699 and $799 only a year from now, they will have to use LCD. If they are LCD, I don't see a lot of reason to believe they will ditch the Home Button. The removal of Home Button, the addition of Face ID, and Edge-to-Edge design all go hand in hand with one another...and are core tenants of the OLED models. Apple has to do all of these in order to do one of them, and I don't see it happening at the lower price points (yet) or with LCD in the mix.

I think there is a very good chance that Apple makes an iPhone 8s and 8s Plus at $699 and $799 next year, keeping the same design as the iPhone 8 and adding updated internals.

$1099 iPhone XI Plus
$999 iPhone XI
$899 iPhone X
$799 iPhone 8s Plus
$699 iPhone 8s
$699 iPhone 8 Plus
$599 iPhone 8
$599 iPhone 7 Plus
$499 iPhone 7
$399 iPhone SE

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It really comes down to cost and what Apple can do with the current lineup. It seems likely that they will add a larger, more premium OLED model to the lineup next year, and maintain LCD products in the lower tiers for at least 1 more cycle.

For Apple to do new models at $699 and $799 only a year from now, they will have to use LCD. If they are LCD, I don't see a lot of reason to believe they will ditch the Home Button. The removal of Home Button, the addition of Face ID, and Edge-to-Edge design all go hand in hand with one another...and are core tenants of the OLED models. Apple has to do all of these in order to do one of them, and I don't see it happening at the lower price points (yet) or with LCD in the mix.

I think there is a very good chance that Apple makes an iPhone 8s and 8s Plus at $699 and $799 next year, keeping the same design as the iPhone 8 and adding updated internals.

$1099 iPhone XI Plus
$999 iPhone XI
$899 iPhone X
$799 iPhone 8s Plus
$699 iPhone 8s
$699 iPhone 8 Plus
$599 iPhone 8
$599 iPhone 6s Plus
$499 iPhone 6s
$399 iPhone SE

I think the 6 and 6S will be toast at the end of this year.

KONVICTED

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
iPhone 8 series possibly could be last of it's kind. Apple already mentioned iPhone X design is the future. They will more focus on improving it over time.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
One reason Apple might continue to produce iPhones with home buttons is because technically the iPhone X is a special edition model separate from the standard line up hence the jump from 8-10 and skipping 9.

Really doesn’t make sense lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.