Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Does anyone know if the current mac version of Adobe CS2 will work on the macs with intel chips when they come out? Apologies if this question has been asked; couldn't find it. Thanks for the help.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
PowerPC Photoshop was one of the applications used in the Rosetta demonstration at WWDC last year. Adobe programs are really, really important to Mac sales, so it's a safe bet that making sure that stuff runs is one of the top priorities.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
iMeowbot said:
PowerPC Photoshop was one of the applications used in the Rosetta demonstration at WWDC last year. Adobe programs are really, really important to Mac sales, so it's a safe bet that making sure that stuff runs is one of the top priorities.

As well, Apple knows that Adobe will take forever in making sure they work on Intel machines natively, so they had to make sure that Rosetta would do the job.

We'd more likely have to worry about games not running since that's not a priority to Apple.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to buy Adobe CS2 but my 9 month old powerbook has just had a temporary repair and I have to send it off for a new logic board. Can't spare it at the moment so don't want to come up against the possibility of it being replaced instead of repaired with a machine that won't run CS2.

cjack26

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
When will Adobe release CS2 native?

Has anyone read anything from Adobe or Apple that gives an estimate for when CS2 (or a new version) will be released native for the Intel Chips?
I'd rather wait to upgrade till it's native than buy it and run it through Rosetta.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
cjack26 said:
Has anyone read anything from Adobe or Apple that gives an estimate for when CS2 (or a new version) will be released native for the Intel Chips?
I'd rather wait to upgrade till it's native than buy it and run it through Rosetta.
CS2 is already pretty new so I suspect there will be some kind of media exchange program -- as opposed to a new version -- that will supply the Intel binaries. Much like Apple's "crossgrade" program.

I've nothing to support this, however.

Boelman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Hopefully it will work because I have the creative suite and that wasn't cheap.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
I work in education (and happen to be finishing my MBA at the moment) but have you looked at education pricing? It's darn cheap. Plus, Adobe used to have a very generous EULA that would allow you to transfer educational licenses to business licenses without restriction. Not sure if their EULA still supports this, though.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
cjack26 said:

If history tells us a useful story, it'll be CS5 when they finally get the Universal Binary finished and the applications may not work all that well. :eek:

I'm hoping it isn't that way but I think that their run-down codebase doesn't like prodding. It seems to become slower with each release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.