Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
iPhone has been waterproof for years, will the iPad ever catch up? It would be the #1 reason for me to upgrade, but don't ever even see it happening in the rumor mill.

My guess is, waterproofing takes up space and Apple won't sacrifice internal components to make it waterproof (or make iPads a little thicker). At least until they can free up the space internally.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
While nice I just don’t think that’s on the horizon for iPad.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My guess is, waterproofing takes up space and Apple won't sacrifice internal components to make it waterproof (or make iPads a little thicker). At least until they can free up the space internally.

Nah. I'm guessing the increased cost due to waterproofing wouldn't increase demand that much to justify it.

My "waterproofing" is just AppleCare+.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I don't really mind to be honest, waterproofing is nice to have on the iPhone, but I wouldn't use an iPad in the rain, or over a kitchensink, or anything like that, like I would with a phone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don't really mind to be honest, waterproofing is nice to have on the iPhone, but I wouldn't use an iPad in the rain, or over a kitchensink, or anything like that, like I would with a phone.

We've used the iPad in the kitchen for recipes. It's also nice for bath tub reading or Netflix.

Granted, I tend to veer towards the waterproof Kindle Paperwhite for bath tub reading. Same for pool and beach side.

Reactions: uther and nj-morris

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
We've used the iPad in the kitchen for recipes. It's also nice for bath tub reading or Netflix.

Granted, I tend to veer towards the waterproof Kindle Paperwhite for bath tub reading. Same for pool and beach side.
Yeah that's a good point. Never occurred to me to bring an iPad to the pool or a beach, but I guess if it were waterproof then I might try it out.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah that's a good point. Never occurred to me to bring an iPad to the pool or a beach, but I guess if it were waterproof then I might try it out.

For me, it's not the waterproofing that's the issue pool/beach side. It's the bright sunlight and reflections rendering the display almost unusable. Works OK in the shade though.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

That's the standard 1-year warranty.

AppleCare+ covers accidental damage (including liquid damage) subject to a $49 service fee per incident.

Iirc, there used to be a 2 incident max every 2 years but I guess Apple is making a lot of money on AC+ that they've changed that to unlimited.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Samsung tablets are somewhat waterproof (IP68, 30 minutes at 5 feet), so I don’t know why iPads aren't (from YouTube videos, even the Pros die really quickly in water). Maybe it will change with OLED.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Samsung tablets are somewhat waterproof (IP68, 30 minutes at 5 feet), so I don’t know why iPads aren't (from YouTube videos, even the Pros die really quickly in water). Maybe it will change with OLED.
It's very recent with Samsung though, only the S9 line is waterproof

RichHI

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2018
Princeville, HI
I can only imagine it is lack of demand. OtterBox have been making waterproof cases fro iPhones for years but not iPads. Maybe an iPad Ultra might merit a waterproof case.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Sure, waterproof gadgets and gear are nice but as with everything it comes with a price. Not just money but also the use of chemicals needed to make things waterproof. If we don't need to use chemicals that a lot of times are bad for living species I'm all for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.