Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Strangely, though, after the 6s, they came out with the 7 with 32 GB base and then the 8 had 64 GB base. So it jumped up two years in a row. And only last year did they give the premium Pro models a base of 128 GB. Sometimes Apple is predictable and sometimes they almost seem random.
One thing that is constant and predictable about Apple is margins. Assuming that Apple is affected by shortages on NAND chips, then we can safely see Apple sticking with 64GB.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The fact that Apple is breaking sales records with the "only-2-lens" iPhone 12 shows that the market actually doesn't really care. Most people will buy iPhones because of the brand, not because of the specs. Imo Apple is not too worried about what cheap Android phones are doing.

That mentality is getting a bit long in the tooth now. We know iPhones have always and continue to sell well based on brand power. However Apple have been trying to compete on specs in recent years as the iPhones have finally started adopting major features like wireless charging and OLED screens half a decade or more after the Android market made these a standard. I think Apple will start to be more conscious of norms, especially as the mobile market is so stagnant and technology is slower to appear.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Sorry, but that's not true for the AirPods. They work just perfectly fine on every other device with Bluetooth - that's why I bought them. ;)
Without iPhone, you’re missing so many features, you might as well buy $15 clones on AliExpress. No auto pause/resume, no native battery status, no audio handover between AirPods and iPhone.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Strangely, though, after the 6s, they came out with the 7 with 32 GB base and then the 8 had 64 GB base. So it jumped up two years in a row. And only last year did they give the premium Pro models a base of 128 GB. Sometimes Apple is predictable and sometimes they almost seem random.
If iPhone 8 didn’t have 64GB base, it would have a ridiculously short list of new features. Not many consumers would buy a new iPhone just for wirelsss charging.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That mentality is getting a bit long in the tooth now. We know iPhones have always and continue to sell well based on brand power. However Apple have been trying to compete on specs in recent years as the iPhones have finally started adopting major features like wireless charging and OLED screens half a decade or more after the Android market made these a standard. I think Apple will start to be more conscious of norms, especially as the mobile market is so stagnant and technology is slower to appear.
If anything, Apple is more differentiated now that ever before. No one buys AirPods, AirTag, or Watch, without iPhone. Security is a bigger concern and Apple has a lot of credibility built up. So while Apple doesn’t have folding devices, periscope or under display cameras, they make up for it in other ways.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
It seems to go in two year cycles as to whether or not there is a big difference between the pro and standard models. Last year there was not much difference beteeen the standard 12 and the pro models. The year before the gap was greater. It appears this year there will be a more substantial gap again, with the pro models rumoured to get all the new features

amoebas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
It seems to go in two year cycles as to whether or not there is a big difference between the pro and standard models. Last year there was not much difference beteeen the standard 12 and the pro models. The year before the gap was greater. It appears this year there will be a more substantial gap again, with the pro models rumoured to get all the new features
For the 11 and 11 pro, i think the price difference also made up for the big gap since they did 64gb or 256gb thing on the pro

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Airpods do work as bluetooth earphones on android devices and windows laptops, but they do not sound particularly that good. When used with an iphone via the H1 chip though, its a completely different experience. They sound better than wired earpods and have ridiculous range away from the host iphone, even with obtacles like walls in the way. I even tested them in a IT server room which has part magnetic shielding, walls and a door in the path of my iphone, and amazingly they still worked!
That's because they have a good antenna, not because they the H1 chip has some magic that negates the laws of physics. Any $160 pair of headphones should sound good and have a good antenna.

The fact that they don't work as well on non iOS devices is part of the lock-in, although I'd assume it's more to subconsciously make you feel that the non iOS device is inferior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.