Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the iPhone SE 4 gonna have a refreshed desgin

• Total voters

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I've been a bit disappointed with the removal of the mini iPhone, but the design of the current SE doesn't make sense, Sure, it appeals to a group of people who need Touch ID, but the SE design is 6 years old.
And besides, Apple does at least make one external change to their phones, the 12 change was it flat sizes, the 13 with the reduced notch, and the 14 with new colors and Dynamic Island.
But that never happened when the SE 3 released, so it makes sense to change the design a bit
And besides, the 14 Plus isn't selling very well.
So what do you think

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The SE exists as a low-cost device, so a refresh isn’t on the books. Besides, it’s about taking a tried and true design, the XR, and updating the internals.

Reactions: mblm85

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Well technically Apple have not discontinued the Mini, they have not made any statement regarding this. They have simply kept the 13 Mini in the line up, but not introduced a 14 Mini. So we got the 13 Mini as our premium small iPhone for now, and considering it has the same A15 chip as the regular 14 series, its fine where it is. But as Jpack said, the next SE4 is rumoured to use the XR design.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
It should be based on the iPhone 11, not even the Xr.

An iPhone 11 with the A15 or A16 processor and 5G, with the software enhancements enabled by those processors and it would be a very interesting device for the vast majority of users.

Reactions: sorgo †

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Well technically Apple have not discontinued the Mini, they have not made any statement regarding this. They have simply kept the 13 Mini in the line up, but not introduced a 14 Mini. So we got the 13 Mini as our premium small iPhone for now, and considering it has the same A15 chip as the regular 14 series, its fine where it is. But as Jpack said, the next SE4 is rumoured to use the XR design.
I was meaning that there will be no Mini after the 13 mini

Reactions: snipr125

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I was meaning that there will be no Mini after the 13 mini
We don’t know that. We just know there is no 14 mini. I agree that it seems likely that the mini form factor is done for now, but we don’t know it.

As @snipr125 mentioned above, the 13 mini has the same A15 family chip as the 14 and 14 Plus (not exactly the same, the 14s have an extra GPU core, but very close). Consider these two possible futures for the mini:

—It is on a tick-tock development cycle with the Plus. 13 mini, 14 Plus, 15 mini, 16 Plus, etc.
—Apple is close to the release of a foldable iPhone, which would be mini-sized when closed.

I don’t think either is likely, but they are two possible futures I can think of that are different from “small form factors are gone forever.”

On the matter of the SE, I think by now it seems clear that its purpose is not to be small, if the rumors are true that it’s going to be based on the XR. Its purpose is to be inexpensive for Apple to produce. It’s less expensive for users to buy, sure, so it does fill a niche; but its most important metric is production cost.

The XR and 11 are very similar phones, but the 11 has an extra rear camera and an improved front camera. I think both of those put the XR as more likely than the 11 as the near future of the SE, based on its most important metric.

I would love for the mini to be the future of the SE, but its components are too expensive. I’d love for it to continue in the current form: the SE is not about new design, but again I am sure there is a cost reason. But its reason for being isn’t to be a haven for the small iPhone, that has just been a coincidence.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
We don’t know that. We just know there is no 14 mini. I agree that it seems likely that the mini form factor is done for now, but we don’t know it.

As @snipr125 mentioned above, the 13 mini has the same A15 family chip as the 14 and 14 Plus (not exactly the same, the 14s have an extra GPU core, but very close). Consider these two possible futures for the mini:

—It is on a tick-tock development cycle with the Plus. 13 mini, 14 Plus, 15 mini, 16 Plus, etc.
—Apple is close to the release of a foldable iPhone, which would be mini-sized when closed.

I don’t think either is likely, but they are two possible futures I can think of that are different from “small form factors are gone forever.”

On the matter of the SE, I think by now it seems clear that its purpose is not to be small, if the rumors are true that it’s going to be based on the XR. Its purpose is to be inexpensive for Apple to produce. It’s less expensive for users to buy, sure, so it does fill a niche; but its most important metric is production cost.

The XR and 11 are very similar phones, but the 11 has an extra rear camera and an improved front camera. I think both of those put the XR as more likely than the 11 as the near future of the SE, based on its most important metric.

I would love for the mini to be the future of the SE, but its components are too expensive. I’d love for it to continue in the current form: the SE is not about new design, but again I am sure there is a cost reason. But its reason for being isn’t to be a haven for the small iPhone, that has just been a coincidence.

I continue to wonder about why the switch from the 6/7/8 design to the XR design. A couple of things occur to me, but I’m just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks:

—Apple wants to bring the full screen to the SE market.

The SE is all about cost, and it appeals to those that don’t want to pay for top of the line. Apple has done a great job servicing that market with the SE. Never mind that more advanced features exist, these have been wonderful phones, especially because Apple has furnished them with their top chips. I do believe that one consideration (after cost) is that the SE should still provide a great experience. Perhaps Apple feels that that can no longer be served by a phone that isn’t full screen? Or perhaps they see a value to getting the whole user base on Face ID? If costs between the two form factors are similar, then perhaps these considerations break that tie.

—It has become too expensive to continue to manufacture Touch ID.

While the machinery was still in place to manufacture it, I’m sure it was dirt cheap. BUT…Apple has been moving more and more of its manufacturing out of China. Perhaps whatever supplier was doing Touch ID is no longer part of the picture, and the cost to spin up production at a new manufacturer is just not worth it?

I’m not in the know or anything, these are just a couple of possible explanations I was noodling around with.

Reactions: Andeddu

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I continue to wonder about why the switch from the 6/7/8 design to the XR design. A couple of things occur to me, but I’m just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks:

—Apple wants to bring the full screen to the SE market.

The SE is all about cost, and it appeals to those that don’t want to pay for top of the line. Apple has done a great job servicing that market with the SE. Never mind that more advanced features exist, these have been wonderful phones, especially because Apple has furnished them with their top chips. I do believe that one consideration (after cost) is that the SE should still provide a great experience. Perhaps Apple feels that that can no longer be served by a phone that isn’t full screen? Or perhaps they see a value to getting the whole user base on Face ID? If costs between the two form factors are similar, then perhaps these considerations break that tie.

—It has become too expensive to continue to manufacture Touch ID.

While the machinery was still in place to manufacture it, I’m sure it was dirt cheap. BUT…Apple has been moving more and more of its manufacturing out of China. Perhaps whatever supplier was doing Touch ID is no longer part of the picture, and the cost to spin up production at a new manufacturer is just not worth it?

I’m not in the know or anything, these are just a couple of possible explanations I was noodling around with.
The latest SE is not selling very well, according to estimates.

I think its design, as iconic as it is, no longer convinces the iPhone SE target people, because they want something more modern and yes, maybe something bigger.

The Xr/11 is a good middle ground, even if it has some big bezels, but it's not huge in dimensions, it looks more modern in terms of design (not being a marvel).

The SE's target audience would like it, for its battery, its more current design and for having a screen of a more current size.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The latest SE is not selling very well, according to estimates.

I think its design, as iconic as it is, no longer convinces the iPhone SE target people, because they want something more modern and yes, maybe something bigger.

The Xr/11 is a good middle ground, even if it has some big bezels, but it's not huge in dimensions, it looks more modern in terms of design (not being a marvel).

The SE's target audience would like it, for its battery, its more current design and for having a screen of a more current size.
The SE3 did actually pick up in sales:

counterpoint-research-top-10-smartphone-share-for-april-2022-jpg.2075626

But I agree the iPhone 8 design has perhaps reached saturation point and a newer chassis is need, but it should be the X, XS, 11 Pro design at 5.8" that should be used not the XR/11.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I continue to wonder about why the switch from the 6/7/8 design to the XR design.
It’s simple, just look at the pre-14 lineup.
iPhone SE3: $429
iPhone 11: $499
For an extra 70 bucks you get an older processor, but you get a design from 2018 instead of one from 2014.
Why would anyone opt for the former, unless they just really really need an A15 and 5G?
Clearly, that old XR era design is getting very cheap to produce, and also gives Apple several benefits and the low end market that they currently don’t have:
•a dedicated low-end phone with a large screen, very important, especially in markets outside of the US and Europe.
•bigger battery, as the small design of the current SE doesn’t exactly have much room for great battery life.
•a uniform full screen design and gesture control across the entire iPhone lineup.
There are more reasons for them to do it than not to do it.

Reactions: lkalliance

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
The SE3 did actually pick up in sales:

counterpoint-research-top-10-smartphone-share-for-april-2022-jpg.2075626

But I agree the iPhone 8 design has perhaps reached saturation point and a newer chassis is need, but it should be the X, XS, 11 Pro design at 5.8" that should be used not the XR/11.
The X, XS and 11Pro use OLED panels, higher resolution, stainless steel edges and dual/ quad camera set ups.
Meanwhile the XR has a 326PPILCD, which is equivalent to the current SE screen, and a single camera layout with aluminum edges.
Remember, this phone is supposed to cost Apple next to nothing, and OLED’s, multiple camera set ups and stainless steel are a lot more expensive than the alternatives.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Clearly, that old XR era design is getting very cheap to produce...
That's the most important consideration. I agree with the other advantages you list, but if this bit isn't true then it's all moot. I'm assuming it is true. At least, if it turns out that the XR body is what they use, then it must be cheap to produce, QED.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.