Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Looks like the SIM slot still exists in most civilized countries around the world, except for the U.S.

The question is, will U.S. iPhone 15 models still have a plastic spacer? Or maybe they've changed it to cardboard this year to be more enviro friendly.

1694545579871.png

MiamiFL

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2023
Yeah if I wasn't trading my existing phone in, I'd fly to another country to buy it with a SIM tray. No SIM tray is a nightmare when traveling countries where eSIM isn't really a thing yet.

JPack

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Apple literally spread out the components on the U.S. version to use up the space. It's so silly.

1698699572703.png

Reactions: makeitrainnaren

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
"COURAGE"

I wish we still had a SIM tray.
I just purchased an iPhone 13 just because it has a SIM tray. I'm not opposed to eSIM, it's just that it's too hit and miss, currently with some wireless carriers. Mint Mobile my NVMO, only allows to eSIM swaps within 12 months. After that, they charge $3 per swap. Then there's the issue with how some carriers process eSIM swaps. For some carriers it's fairly sraight foward and with others, it turns out to be a pain and a huge hassle.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
No SIM tray is a nightmare when traveling countries where eSIM isn't really a thing yet
I use a burner phone when traveling. Such burner phone having a SIM tray. Bought it cheap at Walmart for $100.00. Crappy phone for certain. But it does what I need with finding train schedules and texting people I need to contact in Europe. If I lose the phone it is not a big deal. If TSA decides to search the phone they will find nothing of interest. If some clod at the checkpoint steals the phone, oh well, they will get nothing.

Personally, I would never take a personal or work phone through a facility that has TSA cretins who can search without a warrant.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lex404 and Duncan68

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I use a burner phone when traveling. Such burner phone having a SIM tray. Bought it cheap at Walmart for $100.00. Crappy phone for certain. But it does what I need with finding train schedules and texting people I need to contact in Europe. If I lose the phone it is not a big deal. If TSA decides to search the phone they will find nothing of interest. If some clod at the checkpoint steals the phone, oh well, they will get nothing.

Personally, I would never take a personal or work phone through a facility that has TSA cretins who can search without a warrant.
Huh? I’ve never had TSA search a phone. They just run it through X Ray and that’s that.

That being said, I hate airplanes and wish we had high speed rail.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I’ve never had TSA search a phone
I haven't either. I know two people that had to unlock their phones so TSA could look at them. What TSA was looking for, or if it was just random, my two friends do not know. And does that really qualify as a search? Depends on definition of a search. In the cases I knew of TSA only looked at the Home Screen. Was TSA looking to see if the phone actually was a phone or looking for something out of the ordinary?

I have personally been through a very thorough search at an airport. Oslo Norway, returning to the U.S. Supposedly randomly selected, which I don't entirely believe. I was taken to a separate room, my passport taken, and told to strip to my underwear. My clothes were searched thoroughly by hand feeling every inch of my clothing. I was not asked any questions. I was never told why even though I asked. I suspect my name, or face, matched someone of interest.

What was strange is that I was allowed to hand my carryon to my wife, which contained my phone and laptop., such items never searched. I suppose they would have searched the items if they wanted. The entire experience was enough to make me extra cautious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.