Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Now that the new Mac Pro is out will Apple put the trash can Mac Pro on sale before the switch? I'm guessing this new one won't even lower the price of the old one because it's targeting an entirely different market.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Now that the new Mac Pro is out will Apple put the trash can Mac Pro on sale before the switch? I'm guessing this new one won't even lower the price of the old one because it's targeting an entirely different market.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the 2013 Mac Pro was removed from Apple's site when the new Mac Pro is available for sale in September. You'd still be able to find it elsewhere I assume, probably much cheaper than what Apple was originally charging.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Most likely they will dump any remaining stock they have into the 'clearance' section of their website, when they did this for the 2015 MacBook Pro, there was no discount. Third party retailers may begin selling down their stock from now in anticipation of the new machines in September, so you might be able to get a good deal even before the new ones become available.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I thought the trash can was already removed from Apple's site and store.

Slash-2CPU

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
If Apple lists them on clearance, it’ll be a smaller discount than the refurbished ones have now. They have no motivation to sell them at a real discount. It would devalue their other products, and they’ll sell them all eventually at asking price.

True luxury goods manufacturers never offer a sale.

I’d look for an authorized reseller running a sale that, more importantly, doesn’t collect sales tax for shipping to your state.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Well it seems some say they might dump their stock and others no. I didn't think about third party sellers like B&H. That might be a good idea. I know it's a horrible investment. I'm not buying it for that. They could use the remaining ones for service and TBH that would likely be their best choice financially.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
There seem to be sizeable rackmounted installations of Trashcans out there. I'm sure these won't be phased out overnight and demand from corporations for a steady stream of replacement units is going to be there.

rackmacpro_onemacpro.png

rackmacpro_ecalserverroom.jpg

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Cool, that's less than a mile from my place, marginally quicker to get to than the Apple store. Let's see about that back door entrance...

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Got a broken one on Craig’s list for $200 I like it as an art piece. Took it home cleaned it out. Swapped power cables. And swapped in New RAM, and it booted right up, Works like a dream. Just saved $2,000 at least.
Everyone is trying to liquidate these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.