Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
I'm a little apprehensive about how the Watch will feel on the wrist. Could the sensor dome on the bottom of the watch case cause a pressure point making the Watch less comfortable than a standard watch case. What do you think?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Due to it being a LARGE watch, and naturally not a very lightweight item also, I would imagine the strap will have to be done up quite firmly otherwise it's simple going to end up rotating around your wrist.

I guess it depends if you like proper watches to be firm on your wrist, or quite lose, the bigger the watch the more this issue will become of course.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Something tells me you don't have much experience with watches.

I can tell you, that when I used to wear a watch, and not even the silly teenager mine is bigger than your watches, they used to slip on my wrist.

Not all the way round, but they rotated around my wrist quite a bit, as I did not like the strap to be tight.

If I was to wear a watch again I would go for the lightest, thinnest model I could get as a reasonable price.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I can tell you, that when I used to wear a watch, and not even the silly teenager mine is bigger than your watches, they used to slip on my wrist.

Not all the way round, but they rotated around my wrist quite a bit, as I did not like the strap to be tight.

If I was to wear a watch again I would go for the lightest, thinnest model I could get as a reasonable price.

Get a plastic Quartz watch. They are as thin and light as you want and will function well for a pretty long time

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Get a plastic Quartz watch. They are as thin and light as you want and will function well for a pretty long time

I could do.

My last one was a stainless steel quartz that lasted, for, ohhhhh, 6 or 8 years with I think 2 batteries over that time :)

It finally gave up the ghost, and, you know what, I did not bother, I have clocks all over the place at home, and clocks at work, not to mention if you are on a PC there clock is there, and out and about I have my phone.

So tbh never missed it.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I could do.

My last one was a stainless steel quartz that lasted, for, ohhhhh, 6 or 8 years with I think 2 batteries over that time :)

It finally gave up the ghost, and, you know what, I did not bother, I have clocks all over the place at home, and clocks at work, not to mention if you are on a PC there clock is there, and out and about I have my phone.

So tbh never missed it.

Good for you.
Now I understand where you are coming from when it comes to the thickness of the Apple watch.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Good for you.
Now I understand where you are coming from when it comes to the thickness of the Apple watch.

To be honest, I can think of nothing worse than seeing loads of people with the same mini computer on their wrist that I'm wearing.

Attack of the clones!

Jewelry and watches are about people with their individual unique choices.

Apple can try and pretend there are millions of looks, but reality check it's one device in 2 fractionally different sizes.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Okay, you seemed to imply rotating all the way round. Lots of people like a bit of play on the wrist whereas others like their watches tight. Just a matter of personal preference.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
Okay, you seemed to imply rotating all the way round. Lots of people like a bit of play on the wrist whereas others like their watches tight. Just a matter of personal preference.
This was my concern in the original post. I prefer a watch to be fairly loose, but not so much that it can rotate 180*. Will the dome at the bottom of the Watch need to be cinched up to work properly.? Secondly, will this result in the dome causing an uncomfortable pressure point?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
This was my concern in the original post. I prefer a watch to be fairly loose, but not so much that it can rotate 180*. Will the dome at the bottom of the Watch need to be cinched up to work properly.? Secondly, will this result in the dome causing an uncomfortable pressure point?

Several people have asked about how tight it needs to be but we don't know yet. The dome appears flush enough so I don't think wearing it loose will be an issue. I, for , don't really care about health monitoring so I plan to wear it slightly loose but even that may still work anyway.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
the slight dome won't bother me. but I want apple to offer normal leather bands. all the leather bands they offer seem stiff.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I just got my 42MM :apple: Watch today, and have been wearing it since about noon. My previous watch was a Pebble with a 3rd party expansion band. It is very comfortable, but nothing compares with my :apple: Watch. Even though I have the WSB on it, it fits snugly but not in the least uncomfortably snug. I had a concern that in order for the HR to work it would have to uncomfortably snug but that is not the case.

Also I noticed with the Pebble that when I changed clothes that putting my arm into the sleeve of a shirt would cause the cuff to snag on the watch and pull the watch and sleeve up. Then I'd have to fish the Pebble out of the sleeve and pull the sleeve down. I don't seem to have that problem with the :apple: Watch, the sleeve just slides over it. I think this is because of the smoother surface with the rounded edges leave nothing for the material in the sleeve to grab.

As far a the fit and finish and Quality Control of the :apple: Watch is concerned I give it top marks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.