Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
When 5.1.2 finally drops, with the accompanying ECG app, I’m wondering if there will be a spike in people seeing a cardiologist or even the Emergency Room in the immediate aftermath. If so, I’m wondering how many will be actual issues vs false positives.

If anyone here works in either of those environments and can disclose at least a trend, that would be very interesting.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
I think that there will be some of both. I went to a routine doctor’s appointment yesterday and mentioned it and he chuckled about the likely initial response by users. I think that we both agreed that the feature is likely to be a problem for people who are convinced that they’re sick but aren’t.

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Yes cause some people are dumb. They will panic over a high heart rate after having coffee or from a little exertion etc

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
No doubt there will be a few, but the watch and app are pretty accurate so if it indicates afib, they should go and have it checked out. For 99 percent of the users, the new app is not going to help much.

Last edited:
Reactions: tromboneaholic

hull22

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
I predict a large increase in ER/PCP/Cardiology visits. Many of which will be the worried well who wonder why there's a blip in their EKG or have an "inconclusive" result.

hull22

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
You seem to be really negative about the ECK feature, being a doctor, you would not want people to have this tool?
It's good that it may find real problems, but think of the false abnormalities it will raise, that costs healthcare dollars. ER visits are expensive as well. Asymptomatic atrial fibrillation doesn't require emergency evaluation. You have to be willing to see both sides of this EKG feature. Should the general population really have an EKG monitor with them at all times? The answer is not clearly yes.

It's like those all encompassing screening tests that some companies sell outside of what's recommended by your doctor, get your abdominal ultrasound, carotid, calcium scoring, etc. Sure, you may diagnosed important things that should be treated but then you finding other incidental things that lead to more testing, etc.

Cardiologists react to Apple Watch EKG
https://www.healio.com/cardiology/a...sts-react-to-new-apple-watch-ecg-capabilities

Last edited:
Reactions: smirking

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
It's good that it may find real problems, but think of the false abnormalities it will raise, that costs healthcare dollars. ER visits are expensive as well. Asymptomatic atrial fibrillation doesn't require emergency evaluation. You have to be willing to see both sides of this EKG feature. Should the general population really have an EKG monitor with them at all times? The answer is not clearly yes.

It's like those all encompassing screening tests that some companies sell outside of what's recommended by your doctor, get your abdominal ultrasound, carotid, calcium scoring, etc. Sure, you may diagnosed important things that should be treated but then you finding other incidental things that lead to more testing, etc.

Cardiologists react to Apple Watch EKG
https://www.healio.com/cardiology/arrhythmia-disorders/news/online/{60ccdb24-e448-4832-bcbc-f696acb31b19}/cardiologists-react-to-new-apple-watch-ecg-capabilities
Interesting article, most of the cardiologists quoted were positive in their feelings toward it. I wasn’t left with the feeling they wish it wasn’t an option at all, which is reassuring.

And in practice, it’s pretty conservative and doesn’t scream “call 911” - unless you happen to enter that you are having shortness of breathe (because it’s normal for that to happen when getting something from a lower cupboard right?). Even then it just cautions that it might be a sign of something, and did you want to call for help. Nope, just log it please.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
No doubt there will be a few, but the watch and app are pretty accurate so if it indicates afib, they should go and have it checked out. For 99 percent of the users, the new app is not going to help much.
Is there a paper out giving the Bayesian data?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.