Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.dingledorph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Denmark
I am thinking about replacing my iBook G4 with a MB or MBP, but i would like a smaller machine than the ones that is on the market right now.

Do you guys think that Apple will be releasing a 12,1"ish laptop?

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Maybe some day, but there doesn't seem to be a hint of it happenning in the near future. Not much reason for MB to go smaller; little differentiation, and average consumers aren't demanding to go from 13.3'' to 12.1''. The MBP has been having heat problems, especially at 15'', and it's probably not easy for them to make it any smaller. Some people have been hoping for an ultraportable but there's been zero news from Thinksecret/etc. about it.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i asked about this a while ago, when the MBs were first released and then the MBPs were released without a 12" model. the response was that we probably are not going to see a 12" model because the 13.3 MBs are actually pretty small. considering the trouble Apple had in putting together a G5 PowerBook (as in, they could never do it) I doubt that they're going to try to cram everything that's in the MBP in a 12" enclosure - especially since they pride themselves on having 1" thick notebooks (which is very nice).

bottom line: don't hold your breath!

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
ZoomZoomZoom said:
Maybe some day, but there doesn't seem to be a hint of it happenning in the near future. Not much reason for MB to go smaller; little differentiation, and average consumers aren't demanding to go from 13.3'' to 12.1''. The MBP has been having heat problems, especially at 15'', and it's probably not easy for them to make it any smaller. Some people have been hoping for an ultraportable but there's been zero news from Thinksecret/etc. about it.

Yeah, if they ever get the heat issues under control, it could always be a possibility. I wonder how hot that little sucker would get with the current (or C2D?) chip inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.